What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3D 50s Diner

Oh thats going to look real nice when your done. Reminds me of the old soda shop way back when

i'm sorry but this is outrageous!! A Cocacola sign without the hyphen!!!

Nice work! XD

Thanks guys but as I said its a WIP.
I did some interiors before as exercise but they all look 'CGI game'-ish and I wanna create something as realistic as possible.
So I actually will need your opinion and suggestions, say to make it a common project.

Until now it still looks way too artificial.
Because I'm using my tablet now I can't elaborate on this but tomorrow I'll post a groundplan with all the light directions so you all will have an idea...

Just to say that I will need your opnions and don't be shy!

I'm just trying to explain what I did in regards to the natural light coming from outside the diner.

This is how the setup looks
Untitled-1.jpg

and here's a 32 cycles render
Untitled-2.jpg

Let me please now what you think of the 'sun' effect.

The lighting in interior design is very crucial to create a natural atmosphere.
It seems that your main light source is not strong enough, and the shadows are to hard. (Change the size x,y)
Also adjust the light source color from white to a very light tan color.

Maybe this 'extreme' examples help.
Bildschirmfoto 2017-11-12 um 11.25.58.png
Bildschirmfoto 2017-11-12 um 11.26.13.png

Bildschirmfoto 2017-11-12 um 11.31.47.png
Bildschirmfoto 2017-11-12 um 11.32.17.png

Sorry, I didn't see your last post.
I think your 'sun' effect now looks more like 2 spots.

I'll try to place the lights closer to the 'holes'. Maybe this is going to disperse the light more.

I'm trying to get the effect of sun light coming through 3 different windows

Untitled-1.jpg

why so small the windows? i'm not from there but seems odd a dinner with that tipe of windows XD.

Last edited:
Thats a good point he made, every diner I have been to......especially that era had several huge windows that flooded the place with natural light, so much so in the summer they had to roll down the blinds as it got to hot.....
My two cents worth thats worth exactly nothing :laugh:

It seems that your main light source is not strong enough, and the shadows are to hard.

I agree with that, the sun usually create harsh light but the interior artificial lights usually are soft and for the location you're putting those light definetly will affect those shadows.

Depending on the time of the day and if the day is clear you can add harsh shadow and light on the couch and table, too many factors to consider my head hurts XD

Another thing i think it need for realism is less homogenous light and colour. Almost every material you use in that dinner reflects light and colour so i think you need to make a little mess in that aspect.

Hope it's understandable what i'm trying to say XD

Another thing i think it need for realism is less homogenous light and colour. Almost every material you use in that dinner reflects light and colour so i think you need to make a little mess in that aspect.

Hope it's understandable what i'm trying to say XD

Lambert hasn't applied materials yet, only after that texture on wood, leather, metal will be recognizable and will reflect light in different ways.

Ah ok! whitout knowing how exactly work the 3d programi think i need to wait to the final result to asses tthe work XD.

why so small the windows? i'm not from there but seems odd a dinner with that tipe of windows XD.
Those windows aren't visible in the render.
It is just made that small to have a shadow between the light parts...

I know the windows are not visible in the image, but the light they produce it will be in the final image no? i just ask because it seem odd for a dinner.

Back