What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A couple of efforts

Paul Boyo white

Titled incorrect I apologise

Ok these are far from brilliant,but I tried.
The original photo thats the one in the little frame,the whole face was smaller tham a 1p coin.I scanned it at the highest resolution my printer would allow.The intent after was to simply resize it to to see it it could be improved.
I only decided to have a go at a recolour after but as you can see its not great by any stretch of the imagination.Yes the skin tone was not that good but the family is from italian decent so tryed to opt for a slightly darker tone.
The person who the photo belongs to is partially sighted and so she will be very happy regardless. I think if i printed it and put it in a frame from a distance it would probably look not too bad.

ALL criticism will be taken on board .

Attachments

• img037.jpg
    img037.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 38
  • who am i.jpg
    who am i.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 39
  • who complete recolour (1).jpg
    who complete recolour (1).jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Oh wow, I'd call that a pretty good job! :)

I think you chose very realistic colours, it's great! Hmm perhaps the lips should be a little bit more different though I know it's hard to find a good colour for that >.<'

Tie : doesnt look realistic to me though. The color is more contrast than the surroundings. Try ro lower it. Purple somehow doesnt gel with the brown coat. Try another color maybe.

Lips: Seem a lipstick applied and then removed, faded color. The old man would have gotten his lips browned by this age.. try darker shades for lips.. would look good.

But otherwise, a very good attempt. :thumbsup:

I like it a lot, great job. I would try to get rid of some noise if possible, chitkaran may be right with purplish lips, but it could be just some light reflection. Anyhow you have done awesome work.

From historical point of view I do not like the green, I do not think it was used in those times. But I may be wrong.

Wow, you are one brave man. Show us the result. BTW you must have around midnight now, don't you ?

When your doing a realistic colorization, subtle is always the way to go. Whatever color you think looks good, take it and desaturated it by about 10-15% Some of the subtle lighting details are being lost as well(like in the hat and coat)

Another thing you want think about is what color were the lights when this photo was taken. A lot of people just say "well I think this object should be red and that object should be brown, and complete forget about the overall warmth and temperature, lighting would add to those colors. So you end up with a very cool red and warm brown or vice versa, that just doesn't look right together.

This can be fixed by using a very low opacity warming photo filter just to tie everything together and make all the colors look like they were lit under the same conditions. :)

My take. I agree about the lips, I think the BG needs texture. I agree about the noise. I would make it a smart object, place a gaussian blur, then brush the eyes and other parts to sharpness (might want to just select the face). I think the eyes are too sharp, too blue and piercing, so I would not bring them back to full strength whereas I would go 80% or more on some of the highlights, the eyebrows, the nostril are. Then I would suggest a warming filter. It really is too cold as is. But the work is good Paul. Not nearly as bad as you think!!

I have taken on board all critique as I said I would .
I am struggling with noise at the moment as I really am as not that good.There is so much to learn in PS.I have just mastered CTRL J to make a copy though I am excited just by that.
I am happy with all your efforts too.
This photo really was the size of a penny coin.I have spoken to the mother in law tonight and he was her grandfather. and shes 66 so its quite a few years old .

That is a really solid effort. Nice job on keeping the feel of the original image. Great work!

Back