What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A Cry for Help

Trashcan

Hey everyone, first off I want to apologize if this isn't the correct section to post this in.

I'm a guy here that used to do graphics back when I was in high school which was about 7-8 years ago (super long time ago, right?). At that time I was really just doing forum signatures, and I still have them on my photo bucket if anyone would like to see them, but I figured what's the point of posting them if in all honesty I pretty much forgot how to do majority of the things I used to.

Any who my girlfriend is into art/drawing and she has really motivated me to get back into graphic design. I'm so pumped to get started but the thing is that I don't know where to start. I don't want to just do signatures anymore I want to learn and create some really dope graphics of people, nature, abstract art, and to eventually be able to form my own style and put it all together. There are so many tutorials but no guidance on where it is I need to start first, and where to go next. When I first started I had a buddy online that would send me links and took the time out to help me get started, and honestly without him here to guide me I am lost.

Looking at the showcases here I had no choice but to register on this forum... you guys are awesome. So as guy who enjoys art, and who really sees this as something that I can wake up in the morning and say I love doing.... I'm begging for someone to kickstart me and point me in the right direction here. Thanks for reading! :p

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hello TC and welcome to PSG.

No need to beg or cry for help, you just start at the beginning. You've made the first step, now let's see where you need to be. You don't mention what graphics program you used to use, but I will assume it was Photoshop. Do you have a copy of Photoshop, if so, what version?

Trashcan

Hello TC and welcome to PSG.

No need to beg or cry for help, you just start at the beginning. You've made the first step, now let's see where you need to be. You don't mention what graphics program you used to use, but I will assume it was Photoshop. Do you have a copy of Photoshop, if so, what version?

Haha I know I know I'm just so pumped! :p

Yeah sorry I wasn't very detailed in my post. I've always used Photoshop for graphics. Before I believe it was Photoshop CS3 and now I have CS6.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
OK, have you seen any graphic images lately that appeal to you and that you would like to attempt to accomplish?

If not, here's what I do, I do a Google image search on something like Photoshop effects. Scroll through the images until you find something you like. There's a high probability that it may have a tutorial. If not, bring it back here and we can do our best to help you with the effect.

Trashcan

I've seen some things but just don't remember where I've seen them. Something like this: https://i.ytimg.com/vi/M2-4xIfe4rI/maxresdefault.jpg would probably be a good start for me honestly. I noticed though that the photoshop action that he uses you have to pay for. Is there a free alternative that would offer the same thing?

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Yes I believe that there is.

How about you open a new thread in the General Photoshop Board asking for help with this effect and let's see what we can come up with. Please uplaod any images if possible.

Trashcan

Thank you for the link. Those are some great tutorials and definitely is another step in the right direction for me. You guys are awesome!