What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Illustrator A few Illustrator 10 questions

Sark

Power User
Hi all

Is it possible to disable auto scroll? Everytime you drag the cursor off the page, when marquee selecting, the page moves.

Can you save workspaces, like you can in PS?

Also, does anyone have any recomendations for a good book on AI10. User guides are fine up to a point, but not very inspiring.

Many thanks.

Sark

Hey Sark: I know what you mean and yeah it's a pain, when that happens, Sorry I can't help with that but as far as your second question, I can recommend this great book!
the Adobe illustrator 10 WOW book, by Sharon Steuer

Sark, you can set up a custom default view at the bottom of the View Menu.

Set the view you want, then:

View > New View and save it at the prompt.

Scroll till your hearts content and when you need to get back to see the custom view, just View > Custom View. (It appears at the bottom of the menu.)

You can also customize a keyboard shortcut to access it as well.

Edit > Keyboard Shortcuts.

I usually just use the spacebar to change temporarily to the hand tool grabber and drag back to the view I need.
The auto scroll does means that you don't miss a path or point sitting off-screen.

But everyone has their own work flow, so I hope this helps.

Cheers, Al.

Thanks for the replies.

Rantin Al...Will look at saving a default view with a shortcut, as that seems the quickest option.

nitrobutler...I already have two WOW books, CorelDraw & Photoshop. These are both excellent, so I guess I will be getting another for xmas now. I will certainly need it, Illustrator is proving far from an easy transition from Draw.

Thanks again for the replies.

Sark

You can save several custom views. Up to 10 I think(?)

Maybe a full view and several zoomed in views. For example if you had a document with different elevations of an object, you could have a custom view for each elevation.

Cheers, Al.

Back