What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Achieving this Effect

Alexandria

Can someone please tell me how this is done. I mean ONLY 1 LINE, not the entire picture. Making a line and then motion blur at the end is clear but how do I achieve the thicker, blur-ier part in the middle? Help greatly appreciated :)

The quick and dirty answer is you want to look at the layer Blending Modes. This effect is most likely created using some gradients and the "Overlay" blending mode. See attached picture. Hope this helps.

overlay.jpg

Thx for the reply but no, it doesnt help. I have no idea what you did. Did you draw a line and then a shape on top or a smudge? Would really appreciate to know how to do it before even starting to use layer modes :)

Start with a thin white box, and add motion and gaussian blurs as needed to get the horizontal line that you want:

1.jpg

Then, create a larger vertical white box, and use gaussian blur to soften the edges:

2.jpg

Then, set the blending mode on the "glow" layer to "overlay":

3.jpg

Finally, duplicate the glow layer a few times to make the effect more visible and predominant:

4.jpg

Once you do this, you can mess around with different shapes/sizes of glow to give different effects:

5.jpg

Back