What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Actions that use pixels not percentages??

Noz03

I am trying to create a reasonably simple action; to increase the bottom of the canvas by 250px, place 2 layers that are also 250px and align them to the corners. The problem is, photoshop keeps converting my pixel sizes to percentages based on the size of the image, so then if the next image is a different shape or size it comes out differently.

Can anyone tell me how to do this? Or if it really isn't possible with actions, could anyone tell me how to make a script to do it?

I need to batch edit about 100 images of different sizes with this 250 pixel footer and can't bare the thought of sitting there for 2 hours doing it manually...

Noz03

I worked out that I can resize the layers by turning it into a smart layer, opening it and using fit image. But I still can't work out a way to increase the canvas size...

Is there any other way to add a 250px black bar under the image without using the canvas size option? Using arrow keys to nudge seems to be one way to adjust by pixels instead of a percentage, but is there any way to manually increase size in the crop tool using arrow keys maybe?

If I can work that part out I'll be all set.

Last edited:

revnart

Power User
Maybe I'm wrong but try enabling ruler (Ctrl/CMD+R) then right click it and choose "pixels" and record your action again.
Hope that helps ;)

thebestcpu

Guru
Hi Noz03
Curious problem.
Which OS are you on and which version of Photoshop
Note that when I use the Image > Canvas Size, if I select the option to do my pixels it records so and when choosing percentage it records percentages. So I cannot duplicate the problem when using the Canvas tool so makes me wonder what is up on your end.
BTW- In my case it did not depend on my rulers settings at all (other tools probably do)
John Wheeler

revnart

Power User
Maybe you could share your file with as, or even an action file to examine it? ;)

Noz03

Well I'm not sure what did it because I tried a few things at once but it seems to be working now! Thanks :)