What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

add colour to a radial gradient

magenta01

hi,

i have created a radial gradient fill layer but i want the lighter part in the middle to be coloured instead of black and white.

how do i do this?

appreciate the help.

kind regards

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Just double click on the Gradient fill layers-layer icon in the Layers Panel.
Screen Shot 2021-02-21 at 4.05.51 PM.png

And a Gradient Fill GUI will appear.
(Note: You can reverse the gradient here if your just reversing the colors.)
Screen Shot 2021-02-21 at 4.30.02 PM.png

Change the gradient by double clicking the gradient window, your Gradient Editor will appear.
Then edit your gradient.
Screen Shot 2021-02-21 at 4.30.14 PM.png

JeffK

Guru
Hi -
Here I've created a new layer - this one I've filled with a background of white for now:

1613943744228.png

Now click on your gradient tool:

1613943844003.png

Go to your tool bar, choose the radial gradient, and then click on the gradient image bar::
1613944441810.png

A dialog box will open that looks like this:

1613944029011.png

Click on the third layout option (black to white) for now, move the bottom sliders over to change the spread of the gradient from center outward. Then click on the left square slider to open a color picker (color you choose will show up int the Color box at the bottom):

1613944299286.png

I'm going to choose green for now:

1613945058710.png

Click OK.
Then place the cursor in the center of the area you want the gradient to start and pull towards a corner:

1613945110708.png

Depending on how near or far you pull from the center, your gradient will spread and in the color you've chosen.

Hopefully this answers your question.

- Jeff

magenta01

Hi -
Here I've created a new layer - this one I've filled with a background of white for now:

View attachment 119052

View attachment 119053

Go to your tool bar, choose the radial gradient, and then click on the gradient image bar::
View attachment 119057

View attachment 119055

Click on the third layout option (black to white) for now, move the bottom sliders over to change the spread of the gradient from center outward. Then click on the left square slider to open a color picker (color you choose will show up int the Color box at the bottom):

View attachment 119056

View attachment 119062

Click OK.
Then place the cursor in the center of the area you want the gradient to start and pull towards a corner:

View attachment 119063

Depending on how near or far you pull from the center, your gradient will spread and in the color you've chosen.

- Jeff
Hi -

View attachment 119052

View attachment 119053

View attachment 119057

View attachment 119055

View attachment 119056

View attachment 119062

Click OK.

View attachment 119063

- Jeff

Thanks Jeff.
I have a black layer under the gradient fill so its gotta look black on the outside instead of the white.

sorry, i feel so stupid :(

JeffK

Guru
No problem. When you get to the point of picking your gradient preset, just choose the color to transparent rather than the color to white:

1613948629690.png

Now when you draw your gradient, you'll be able to see whatever your background color is when your gradient fades away:

1613948729437.png

Any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask! :)

- Jeff