What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adding a gradient to a curve.

c4574

I need to add a gradient to the inside curve of the aircraft drawing below. I already know how to place a gradient on a straight line, but I need the gradient to follow the curved inside border of the aircraft drawing. a220forum.png

Something like this....
forum.png

Ross

The way I would tackle this is to make a new shape with the pen tool and then using layer styles (by double clicking on the layer) use an 'inner shadow' style and set your parameters as you need

Screen-Shot-2019-04-08-at-9.02.44-AM.png

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Thanks Ross. I had thought of that as well but then upon observation I noticed that the gradated area tapers towards the front of the aircraft drawing.
Screen Shot 2019-04-08 at 9.10.01 AM.png

Ross

Thanks Ross. I had thought of that as well but then upon observation I noticed that the gradated area tapers towards the front of the aircraft drawing.
View attachment 97270
In that instance I would right click on the layer style and render the layer by clicking "create layer" - that will separate the inner shadow to its own layer and you can then apply a layer mask to it with a tapered gradient

Screen Shot 2019-04-08 at 9.16.34 AM.png

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Yes, I thought of that as well. You can't mask a consistent gradient on a curve, you interrupt the the gentle fade.

Ross

I do see your point...I'm going back to the drawing board to see what alternatives I can think up....the easiest would just be, once it's on its separate layer to use a layer soft brush and layer mask to paint it in, but it wouldn't be consistent/systematic...

Ross

Actually what I just tested - once you create the layer style on its separate layer (by right clicking "create layer") all I did was transform the object larger and rotate it. Because it is on its own layer and clipped to your shape, you can manipulate this to your heart's content.

Screen Shot 2019-04-08 at 9.30.06 AM.png

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
...the easiest would just be, once it's on its separate layer to use a layer soft brush and layer mask to paint it in, but it wouldn't be consistent/systematic...
Yes, that's what I would do but I feared it would be too high of a learning curve for someone with little to no experience with Ps. Setting up the brush and controlling it with a mouse could be a challenge.

The layer style is the best idea. I ruled it out before I experimented. Thanks for the input!

Ross

IamSam - no worries, its all about experimenting/playing in PS, and to be honest, this thread helped me figure out how I would do it/communicate it properly! Good teamwork on this one, but if you or anyone else has ideas in the future I'd love to know, otherwise, it could be an interesting feature request for Photoshop? Not sure the use cases for it, but have a gradient on a curve/path and the ability to taper it could be beneficial!

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
The subject of gradients on curves has been discussed many times here on PSG over the years. This would be a fantastic subject for one of your great videos!