What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adding adj layer to a layer with a fill mask

mikecox

I'm trying to colorize my condo building so we tell the painters what to paint and with what colors. I've figured out, with some help from members of this forum, how to set it up but in some cases, the colors are too light or not interesting enough. I'd like to add an adjustment layer to a masked layer, that only effects that layer. I'm thinking that solution calls for clipping, but I'm not sure.

add Adj layer.jpg

I'm thinking that solution calls for clipping, but I'm not sure.
That is the best way. Just clip a Hue & Sat adjustment layer to the solid color fill layer.

If you don't want to use the Solid Color fill Adjustment layer, the other way would be to just add the layer mask to the Hue & Sat Adjustment layer.

I am just describing @IamSam's solutions in further detail.
That is the best way. Just clip a Hue & Sat adjustment layer to the solid color fill layer.
With the "TOP" layer selected, add your Hue/Saturation layer which will appear on the top. Now, clip it to the "TOP" layer either by pressing Alt and clicking in between the two layers or by selecting the Clipping icon in Hue/Saturation window.

If you don't want to use the Solid Color fill Adjustment layer, the other way would be to just add the layer mask to the Hue & Sat Adjustment layer.
With the "TOP" layer selected, add your Hue/Saturation layer which will appear on the top. Now, make "TOP" layer invisible, press ALT button and then move the mask on "TOP" layer to the Hue/Saturation layer to copy the same mask.

Thanks so much. Looks like I was on the right track, guess I should have tried that before posting this :rolleyes: You guys ROCK!

I was pretty sure there was an excellent explanation in a response by @Eggy
Did it get deleted by accident? If it is restored, it could be useful to someone in the future.

The clipping option is working out for me but I just noticed that one of my Layer/fill options produced an icon with a box in it, like a smart object? I've noticed that this happens sometimes. I don't know what I do to cause this but I usually catch it when it happens and try again, successfully the second time. I didn't notice it happened this time and I don't know how to undo it.

layer fill options.jpg

The layer you have labeled TOP is a shape layer created by a shape tool and not a New fill or adjustment layer option.

Here is an example of a shape layer (bottom) and a Smart Object layer (second from bottom) and a Solid Color Fill layer (second from top) and a layer that is just filled with a color (top layer). Please note the difference between the thumbnail icons.
Screen Shot 2018-07-28 at 11.49.11 PM.png

OK, I just discovered that if you change the layer mask on an adjustment layer into a vector mask, you get the following.

If you have an adjustment layer..............like a Solid Color Fill adjustment layer..........
Screen Shot 2018-07-29 at 12.26.11 AM.png

The Solid Color Fill layer has it's own layer mask when it's created, so you can only select a vector mask from the layer/vector mask icon located at he bottom of the layers panel.
Screen Shot 2018-07-29 at 7.35.24 AM copy.png

So........if you have that layer selected, and you click on the layer/vector mask icon located at the bottom of the layers panel, you will get the following.
Screen Shot 2018-07-29 at 12.28.21 AM.png

It turns the adjustment layers-layer mask into a vector mask, thus the shape layer icon and a path!
Screen Shot 2018-07-29 at 12.29.23 AM.png

This is what you have probably done.

The layer you have labeled TOP is a shape layer created by a shape tool and not a New fill or adjustment layer option.

Here is an example of a shape layer (bottom) and a Smart Object layer (second from bottom) and a Solid Color Fill layer (second from top) and a layer that is just filled with a color (top layer). Please note the difference between the thumbnail icons.
View attachment 90705[/QUOTE
OK, I just discovered that if you change the layer mask on an adjustment layer into a vector mask, you get the following.

If you have an adjustment layer..............like a Solid Color Fill adjustment layer..........
View attachment 90708

The Solid Color Fill layer has it's own layer mask when it's created, so you can only select a vector mask from the layer/vector mask icon located at he bottom of the layers panel.
View attachment 90711

So........if you have that layer selected, and you click on the layer/vector mask icon located at the bottom of the layers panel, you will get the following.
View attachment 90709

It turns the adjustment layers-layer mask into a vector mask, thus the shape layer icon and a path!
View attachment 90710

This is what you have probably done.
Awe I was just going to ask how that happened! Is it possible to change it back to a regular mask without disturbing the selection, or use the current selection to recreate the fill?

Back