What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Airbrushing

melissa

I have a question I am wondering how people are achieving this look called airbrushing? Can someone clue me in?
Here is a link

http://www.acclaimimages.com/_gallery/_pages/0018-0408-2704-0930.html

It brushes all the pores out of peoples skin etc. I know the gausian blurr and other blurr techniques but this is different. I beleive that this is done with a wacom airbrush tool, although I am not sure. (I have a wacom airbrush tool)

Please don't respond by simply stating the gausian blur technique because that is not what I am trying to achieve here. Thanks ;)

Using the photoshop airbrush tool, with a lowered opacity and changing the blending mode to lighten, darken, screen or multiply, one can acheive a softening result, like it was possible to do with a real airbrush on real pictures. Alt/Option+click often to sample relevant skin colors.

Alternatively, some users prefer the median filter to the gaussian blur, and might do blurring on a copied layer (yes, I know you didn't ask for that), then a mask all, and use any brush tool to paint in the mask to apply softening selectively.

Thanks for your response!! I will give that a try! :D I have never heard of that median filter so I will have to look for that too. Thanks!!!
Melissa

The median is a bit hidden.
Filters>noise>median

Try also Filters>Stylize>anisotropic.

There are other smoothing tricks, if you search in Google about the custom filter (search for convolution kernels) but take some aspirins ;)

Another very simple basic way, no frill,s is to simply chose the blur tool.
Magnify the face big time to work close..grab a smooth brush and the blur tool..
It will smooth out skin painlessly.. works on many pictures

Another easy way is to open a duplicate above the original, blur the duplicate until the open area skin looks smooth. then add a mask layer to the duplicate layer. fill the mask with black. Your picture should look like when you started (the original). Now still working on the masked duplicate layer grab a soft white brush and paint in the smooth skin. Do not paint over eyes and lips leave those stark. Should look pretty good...

These are the two easiest ways I know,
Lasa

Back