What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Animation Effect...

stOrM!

Not really [confused]

2 Things I don't understand...

1. I do not get informated anymore if I got a new replay here :(|
2. Hmm on one Layer yes but... wish I could explain what I mean better...

The Problem for me is to understand the technic itself see:

For me under animiation I would understand it that way how I did it like from my very first example in this thread here... The Animation is build of different text layers which I show or hide depending on which layer I am in my animation...

But if I only have one Text layer how should I hide or add more strings to it to show or hide them in my animation layers????
I mean I see what you did outting all numbers onto one layer but what do you do with that layer including the numbers inside of the animation layer? how do you add numbers which you will show in the animation from that layer?? thats what I don'
t get... [confused]

Man you have a lot of patience with me thank you for that!

regards
s!

stOrM!

Thank you Wendy you makes me blush ;)

But really I do not like it that much cauze I am not satisfied with how it loks like I think it could look much better but I still don't know what details would make it really cool looking?

Changing the Button Styles?
Using Marks Glass Buttons?
Adding inset lines?
Changing the Metal look to whatever?
Or use two different Metal Types?

I would much apprieciate any kind of examples Ideas or whatever!

kindest regards
s!

Geoff

Hi storM!!! Great to meet you!! I unfortunatly haven't had the honour to introduce myself to you, but from what I've seen of you work you are an awesome guru! Glad to meet you buddy! :perfect: :perfect:

stOrM!

Geoff!

Nice to meet you too...
Makes really fun staying here with all you dudes, (not forgetting about the ladys here [excited]

But really I wouldn't consider myself a Guru I am just trying almost any day to see whats going on and while trying I sometimes understand what I did sometimes not [confused] So a real Guru I think knows what he did anytime and is able for example to produce so high quality stuff like Mark for sure!! But thank you anyway for your kind words makes me wanna work harder to get a Guru one day B7

kindest regards
s!

theKeeper

Guru
Storm...
We're still talking about the ying yang browser ani here right?

Isn't the numbers going to be "visible" all the time in the animation? And then they'll move right to left when the ani runs.

In this case, you would only need the numbers on one layer. Make that layer visible all the time. And to create movement, simply pick the MOVE tool and use the arrow keys to nudge the numbers layer to the left 3-5 pixels. Do this ONLY for about 3-5 columns of numbers, and then return the number layer back to it's starting position to start the moving process over again.

In animation, the eye is very easily folled into seeing something that's not really there. It will 'fill in the blanks' so-to-speak. So moving the number over only 3-5 columns is all that needed.

Understanding now?

3 images...
a) example of what the number type layer would look like as it was first created. And as it would be placed, underneath the animation shape.

b) after a Layer Mask is added to the type number layer, to contain it within the animtion shape area. And, what you would do to the number layer to make it appear to move.

c) what the layers might look like, showing the number layer below the animation shape layer(s), and with the Layer Mask added to it.

stOrM!

Man sometimes I am so confused about my own brain that can be very heavy for myself and others :D

Yep I guess I understand now whats going on ... [excited]

Let me asked one question to your explainings...
Yep we still talking about the Ying / Yang thing...

Just let us assume we are talking now about the First Animated Storm LCD thing...

When I understand you really well, then it should be possible for e.g. to create 5 Text Layers instead of 85 holding all the needed strings...

Just to make sure assume I have created 5 Text Layers all holding the strings "A B C ........ Z" then because of the move tool I could easily move the needed string from my text layer into position and hide the other ones ?

example:

S F 8 8

while moving, creating a new animation layer then I should get this:

S G 8 8

???

and so on...

The only thing I didn't understand is how do I hide the other strings from that text layer cauze everytime I need only one new string...

I understand it's not needed to have the complete alphabet in a layer to make the strings animated cauze of my lame eyes [oops] but just curious to know about it...

Hey the notification works again :D
regards
s!

BTW. Mark do you have any examples for me what I could do for the Bar to make it a real nice one??? Would be really great, if you have any suggestions for me!

theKeeper

Guru
Yup... now you're understanding. Good stuff. :perfect:

to hide the unused letter layers, before they get used, just click the EYE icon beside the layer (left side). That'll turn them off. :B

stOrM!

Huh? thats cool! :D

Bye the way did you have anything in mind for the bar to make it sweeter?

regards
s!

BTW. today I will try to make my own Ying / Yang to make sure I understand what I was talking about [stuned]

theKeeper

Guru
I can't really suggest any specific design ideas Storm without more info/specs on the project.

Have you thought of using a dark "matte" finish kind of look? And not shiny. That can look pretty slick, and is actually easy to do too.

stOrM!

theKeeper said:
I can't really suggest any specific design ideas Storm without more info/specs on the project.

Oh please tell me what you would / need to know!

Have you thought of using a dark "matte" finish kind of look? And not shiny. That can look pretty slick, and is actually easy to do too.

How will that be made?
Using a new Layer with a dark gradient? or what do you mean Mark?

regards
s!

stOrM!

Mark!

Uhm Ok I try'd to animate the Ying Yang while looking on your example you send me...

Everthing goes well for the first layer thought but then!

I don't know how you rotate the Ying Yang so I did it this way:

I duplicated the first Layer and then while using the ctrl+t I rotate it a little... same on all other following layer till I'm at the start position again...

Later in Image ready I created my animation layers and added the text animation also...

While doing it that way I noticed that the first layer is still looking good but all other layers look really uglyit seems it comes from rotating them...

Not sure how to avoid that can you help???

I incl.. my psd here if you can look at it would be really nice...

thx

regards
s!

BTW. Don't look to close on the animation I know it's buggy but that was just to make sure something for myself so it's not the one I would use :\

theKeeper

Guru
Ok first, the animation itself is ok. Are you making it stop intentionally before repeating it's cycle? If you want it to rotate smoothly continuously, turn the frame rate to 0 for all frames.

TIP: to do this in ONE motion, click the first frame, then hold SHIFT and click the last frame. Then change the frame rate. It's just like a normal windows multi-select function. ;)

Also... you have to "unLink" the type layer's Layer Mask. This type mask must remain where it is. If the 2 are linked and you move the type, you also move the mask. Click the chain link between the layer and it's Mask to unLink them.

To avoid the ugliness from rotating the shape Storm, you need to ONLY use the Layer Styles applied to a flat 2D shape. Not a 3D one like you have. It's your main 3D looking shape that is getting "ugly" from the editing. Instead, fill the shape with a middle grey and use only the Layer Style for the metallic effect. Then it'll look perfect no matter how much you rotate it.

Here... i've put a metallic style in your PSD file and added the extra layers needed. You can tweak this Style to your own tastes. In IR the animation has been done.

theKeeper

Guru
This is what i mean by a "dark matte" finish Storm.

It's simply a very small checkered grid pattern filling the bar (quite subtle in appearance), then a white-to-black Linear grad over top, set to Multiply @ 50% Opacity.

It's just an idea. :B

stOrM!

I see kinda like that?

regards
s!

BTW. Many thx for your help on the Animation I will try tomorrow and see what I can fix...

stOrM!

Hmm doesn't look too bad don't you think?
Well but what would you do to add details to it like wires for example or whatever I mean what would you do as addons for that kind of interface?

kindest regards
s!

theKeeper

Guru
Ya that looks ok Storm. Lighten up the bottom half of the gradient though, so we can get a better feel for the 3D effect it has.

As for 'extras'... that's completely dependant on how much room you have to play with. What the layout of the controls will be.

stOrM!

Ah Ok ic...

Well for the dimensions height = 30 or 40 px / Width = 1024 px
What would you add if you have a mainlayout of that?

I'm really curious to know!

regards
s!

stOrM!

Hm the room I have is exactly what you see from your updated interface where you added the matte...

Seems to be kinda hard to add something cauze its really rare the space I have... [slick]

theKeeper

Guru
No, not really.

Your iFace bar image will sit behind the buttons and stuff... so just do whatever ya want to it and it'll look fine.

Add new layers above the iFace bar.
Mask out all the buttons and such on these new layers.
Then paint on the additional effect, and apply Layer Styles to create things like wires, cables, broken panels, etc...

A Clouds layer set to Overlay can add a beaten up look. etc etc etc...

Use your imagination Storm ;) :B