What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

another Colour with unwanted Colour stains

RedDwarf4Ever

Suspect this could be the most difficult yet, I tried the procedure as with the previous photo, but think it needs something else ( throwing in the bin, springs to mind) I used Exposure with some success, my best idea would be to remove the subject and create a beach with sea and sky, similar then overlay the subject(s)

does this sound a good plan, i dont expect miracxles. should i simply search the internet for a suitable sample of sand / sea or complete....

thanks

P.S. if this is beyond salvaging let me now, Its not valuable enough to pay, so unless I can do something reasonable, it will go in the Archive Bag
1975-S-600-David & Tracy in progress.png

RedDwarf4Ever

Any thoughts, is there anything I can do with this, tried the same method as for the previous ‘stained’ image, but left remnants, in B&W, also maybe it’s too blurry, just thought I’d ask, rather not bin it, if I can make it half respectable
thanks

thebestcpu

Guru
The steps I would take are

1) FFT plugin/filter to remove the paper pattern (which will help with an improved perceived sharpness.

2) Convert to B&W and forget the color. By converting to a Smart Object and using the Camera Raw filter the luminosity of the stains can mostly be removed with the B&W mixer tool

3) There was either light leakage in the camera when the image was taken and/or improper removal of negative or chemical processing and the light imperfections would need with dodge/burn techniques or using the content aware fill tool to fix those areas.

4) With those fixes in the Camera Raw filer one could increase clarity and other tonality adjustments to taste.

Would take some work yet quite an improvement to the picture of David and Tracy could be achieved with the above steps.

Hope the suggestions are helpful
John Wheeler

thebestcpu

Guru
Hi @RedDwarf4Ever
Here is a link for one type of FFT plugin with some decent tutorials on how to use it with examples: Pattern Suppressor

That's probably all you need to know to remove repeating patterns. Here is a bit more of the technical background to satisfy the nerd factor in a few of us.

FT stands for Fourier Transform. A technique to convert a complex signal into individual frequency components.
A parallel example is when you have a color represented by multiple individual pure color frequencies and a prism can separate them out.
Pass those exact combination and magnitudes back through a prism again and they are integrated back into the original single combined color (or reverse prism).
Dealing with signals or colors in their individual frequencies or pure color frequencies opens the door for some interesting and easier processing/manipulation.
In audio signals, one can isolate repeating undesired noise (e.g. like a hum) and quite easily remove that noise for a cleaner signal.

FFT is the acronym for Fast Fourier Transform which is just the mathematical technique for Fast processing of the Fourier Transform.

For images, the FFT extracts from the image two dimensional image frequencies. It displays those on a two dimensional map showing those image frequencies that are highly repeating (the pattern you want to remove). Those undesired repeating image patterns can then be easily removed (blacked out) and the the image recreated from the individual image frequencies back to pixels with an Inverse Fast Fourier Transform or IFFT.

There is more that goes on behind the scenes yet that is the essence and will match what you see when you use the plugin.

If the patterns are truly repeating and evenly spaced across the image, the removal of the patterns can be quite impressive.

I find the tool very helpful in the special cases where you want to remove exactly repeating patterns whose components are evenly spaced on the image.

Hope the explanations help
John Wheeler