What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Another novice question for you gurus.

balavalli

Hi, Gurus .need a small tip or help or a tutorial.See am trying to achieve a small effect which I saw .i know the concept they used.They used clipping mask.But when I tried to do it's not the one am looking for.Seems I am doing something wrong with it.Any help is really appreciated.Thank you.Am attaching the screenshots and also the PSD of effort.

This is what I want to achieve :

1.jpg

I know they used a clipping mask of that man with the path or shape.So below is my attempt :

Testing_photoshopguru1.jpg

This is my effort: If you notice when I used the clipping mask this is the result.Where I went wrong?? Any help, please ??

Testing_photoshopguru2.jpg

If you notice when I used the clipping mask the image being inserted into the shape.Please suggest me my mistake .thank you

This is the Layered PSD :

Attachments

• Testing_photoshopguru.psd
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
This is not done with a clipping mask, this is done with a layer mask.

Screen Shot 2018-01-30 at 10.26.18 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-01-30 at 10.26.09 AM.png

Your Layer with the Guy going over everything is turned off in file you attached.
That won't work............unless I'm missing something.

Oh ok can you give a tutorial please ?? Thank you !!
A tutorial on layer masks? I'm not sure I understand, you know how to use layer masks.

Layer mask tutorials

Photoshop:Understanding Layer Masks

Masks: Editable Selection

Layer Masks

How to use layer masks in Phtoshop

Blending photos together: Photoshop layer mask tutorial

First off, this is one of two ways this can be done.

This is very simple selections. You should already know how to make simple selections. If you don't understand the layer mask.........please watch the tutorials I provided.

Make a selection of the shape by holding the Cmd/Cntrl key and mouseclicking the layers thumbnail.
Screen Shot 2018-01-30 at 4.38.32 PM.png

Then use the Lasso Tool holding the shift key (+) to add the mans upper torso to the existing selection.
Screen Shot 2018-01-30 at 4.39.21 PM.png

With the mans image layer selected in the layers panel, hit the "add layer mask" icon located at the bottom of the layers panel. If the mask is reversed, just hit Cmd/Cntrl + I to invert.
Done.
Screen Shot 2018-01-30 at 4.39.36 PM.png

This is very easy and basic Photoshop technique..

Really thank you IamSam.This masking is a bit confusing every time I tried.I am using differently like negative masking and using eraser tool etc..

Back