What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

another texture

Erik

Guru
when I was a kid, I was fascinated by the patterns in an old intaglio cover of a wooden box. It was worn, lost its gloss etc, but the patterns revealed landscapes, animals and other mysterious things. It was one of my treasures.
Now here's a way to create something a bit similar in PS:

Fit the first: the result (one layer, one adjustment layer)

Fit the second (the snark was a boojum indeed!): the howto

1/ Set foreground/ background colour to some yellowish/redish brown colours (not too dark!!)
2/ Render clouds
3/ Filter>Sketch>Cont?
fore13 backgr3
sandstone
scale145 relief17
light dir: TopLeft
4/ Wave. Depending on the size of your doc, this may vary. For 640x480 I used:
80 generators
wavelength min5 max35
scale hor43 vert41
sinusoidal
wrap around
4/ Motion blur
-87? 28pix

that's it.

Now add a curves adjustment layer, and drag the centre of the curve way darker

On the mask of the CAL, apply clouds, diffenerce clouds and repeat Ctrl/Cmd+F as you fancy

Now open curves for the mask, and play with your curve (hint: the dark side must go up, and there's a bit of sinusoidal shape in it.

As for the repeated pattern (for newer users who never tried this out):

-Select all, and copy to clipboard
-Now Image>Canvas size. Double both numbers of pixels (or other units. I prefer working in pixels) and set the direction in the upper left corner.
-Paste three times. This gives you three new layers.
-Activate the first, and Edit>Transform>Flip horizontal. Drag this to the right of your original pic
-the second one has to be flipped vertically and goes to the bottom; the last one has to be flipped both horizontally and vertically and goes to the bottom-right side.
You can drag, and you can nudge with the arrow keys when the black arrow tool is selected.

finally flatten, and eventually use curves to add some more brilliance.

If wanted, you can make this cover brand-new by making the transitions very sharp, and by adding some gloss.
Or even more worn by adding a new copy of the layer and applying the lighting filter with relief effect, and a blendmode that preserves the colour of the bottom layer. (guess which one...)

anyways: lots of fun to experiment, and we migh start a campfire trhead on these patterns.

have fun!

Back