What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Another transformation

Clare, I would change the look of the building on the right in the foreground. I was thinking a layer mask and then have the building get gradually darker as it gets further away from the street lamp. Then add some glow around and below the window with the light in it.

What do you think?

Agent

I'll take a look at that. I was actually thinking of taking the light out of the rightmost windows. I have glows but I could see doing what you're saying. Have to look at the gradual darkening idea. There's also a glow coming from the courtyard on the left and I had it extend farther onto the sidewalk before. I think I liked that, so I may add it back in again.

Could you post a tut on just how you got to the stage your at please, if you have time that is?

Could you post a tut on just how you got to the stage your at please, if you have time that is?

Sure Paul, I’d be glad to try. Bear in mind this is a detailing of the steps I took (an abbreviated version at that) and not a tutorial. You could pretty much learn basic Photoshop from one of us by following along on the creation of such a composition (not to put myself anywhere near The Making of Times Square, lol).

There are over 30 layers and I’m not sure how many have already been merged, so this is not a real quick explanation, but I’ll condense it.

I start by removing all the things I don’t want in my scene. This includes the handrail, people, cars, and electrical lines. This is perhaps the most time-consuming , meticulous part. I use the clone tool and some painting for that. I used the pen tool to removed the parking lot and replaced it with a downloaded “texture” which is dark grey bricks.

Then using the pen tool to outline the daytime sky -- I save this workpath – then delete that portion of sky. I use the quick select tool between and around the tree leaves, delete sky, then use the clone tool and maybe some paint brush to replace and fill in some of the leaves. At some point, I play around with a levels adjustment on the sky to bring it into the tonal range, etc., wanted.

When I’m more or less satisfied, I replace the sky with an image of my own. I made this starry sky during our Planetary Challenge. I use the transform tool to get the star clusters positioned, then reexamine the edges and tree for areas that might need cleanup.

The next step is to make this a night time scene. I use exposure, levels, and curves adjustments for this and make several selections to adjust or I paint on the adjustment mask to change the amount of adjustment on select areas.

Some of the bricks I paint with a lavender color and set blend to Hue. The courtyard doorway is cut out with the pen tool and replaced with light. I have an entire grouping of light and shadow effects alone. I increase the courtyard glow, the steps and the spillover onto the sidewalk using paint brush and soft light or overlay mode.

I make a pen tool cutout of the inside of the lamp and fill that with a pale yellow and add inner and outer glows all set to overlay mode. I do the same to the small lamps but with white and far less glow. I do the same to the sky lights with blue. The house windows I cut out with the pen and also use glows (normal blend mode). The castle windows I cut out and fill with a chartreuse, use an outer glow, and set mode to screen.

I do some painting to adjust the saturation and hue of the castle and the hillside and set that to Hue.

I make a selection of the blue roof on the left and create a shadow to change the sun’s highlites and shadows. Shadows are created in various places, along the walls on the street, on the bushes, and other select areas. By the same token, highlites are added such as to the grass. The plants coming over the wall on the front right needed a levels or curves adjustment to bring out some detail. I add a layer I call color punch set to overlay to bring back some brightness to the house and the grass. On agentmoeller’s suggestion I reduced this some with a gradient overlay making the house a bit darker on the right edge and lighter as it comes closer to the streetlight. Initially, I thought it was kind of surreal and hinted at other light sources on the house front, but this is probably just confusing so I have changed it, but am still not quite satisfied with my result.
I went “shopping” to an online frame store, chose one and altered the tones to darken them and fit the “mood.”

These are the basics. It was fun and I hope you’ll try it Paul. You’ll learn a lot about compositing, use of the pen tool, various blend modes, layer effects, and matching color tonality. Maybe you could try it with a racing car scene as I know you like that subject matter. You could create one of the night time semi-legal drag racing scenes! Just kidding.

Thanks for asking. I hope this helped. :mrgreen:

Here is the latest version. What do you think agent? :D

Attachments

• castle_onthe_hill 3.jpg
    castle_onthe_hill 3.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Here's an example of a window glow. It's better than the one I did for this composition! Practice makes progress.

window_glow.jpg

Here's how I made it.

1) made my initial layer black then added a layer above

2) drew the window frame with a pen tool and named the path. Ctl/opt click on path to make selection and fill. Made a 2nd layer above and chose different color then filled and set blend mode to dissolve (which is almost never used by anyone incl. myself!) and lowered the opacity of this layer to 30%.

3) I used layer effects to bevel and emboss the frame layers. the settings I used were: emboss/smooth/depth 164/size 16/soften 0/ everything else at default.

4) created a layer just below the 1st wndw frame (above the black BG). made a square marquis selection inside the window frame and filled this with a light yellow. I then set the layer effects: inner glow with white color/under elements box changed choke to 14/size 169. outer glow with very pale yellow and changed just these: structure opacity 40%/technique spread 16/size 204.

5) then I duplicated this layer, effects and all. Then created a blank layer below this copy and merged the 2. This makes it possible to treat the layer effects as image, like rasterizing type.

6) I used a combination of selection fill with black at the top, eraser to soften edges of 100% black, eraser to delete glow on the sides or soft brush to paint out some of the side glow. This left most of the glow spilling out the bottom of the window.

7) finally I set this layer to soft light at 80%

And that was my method. You can see that even in this smaller scale of windows castle composition, one has to follow pretty much all these steps to get the desired effect. I figured out to improve the glow taking agent's suggestion of adding directional glow. A lot of Photoshop is trial and error and it's always satisfying to make a discovery (even if it isn't really new, just to you). I'm sure there are other ways, probably simpler. I'm off to find out what they are.

Have fun and happy hunting everybody!

Last edited:
That building in the foreground looks soooooo much better - looks like it's really part of the composition. Well done. It appears, too, that the window is giving off a glow. That also looks much better. I like it.

Did you ever look into any of those photoshp classes offered free through ROP or the community college district around S.D? I thought about trying one, but it seems like they only have beginning Photoshop, and I don't want to spend 6 weeks learning how to use the pen tool and brushes!

Agent

That's true. That's how I got my intro to PS, at Southwestern College. But you're right, they don't have more levels unfortunately. I don't really know why either when the beginning level course really just scratches the surface and they're occupational courses. Maybe because you learn basics and can get the rest on PS Gurus Forum! Ya think? lol

Thanks for your comments. I'm not sure why I contained that outer glow so much, but it does look better now.

Thanks clare, really helped me understand how you did the image.
I love the light coming down the steps from the side building.

is the pic 2 darker than 1 or what ?

whatever , all the pictures are nice ..

great work :)

is the pic 2 darker than 1 or what ?

whatever , all the pictures are nice ..

great work :)

Ty sunrise. There are 3 pics actually, 2 is a different story; the most recent is a 3rd version. Yes, it is darker overall. That is totally due to darkening the house and yard on the right. Initially, I increased the brightness of the house except on the street side. Maybe it is overdone now. Before I change that, however, I want to lighten up the picture frame which gives it a very formal, somber look. See if that helps :D

Thank you lovinangel.

Hmmm, I don't remember exactly, but it takes a good long while -- depending on how you interpret that. Initially, I probably spent ~8 hours. After doing this, I could maybe shave it down to ~6, having worked out the "bugs" which you will always find while pursuing a style. Then there have been a couple more hours of changes and I have a bit left to do yet. Like the member drejs says, he works on some of his pieces for months, especially before he posts them here or on his website -- I'm sure he sets them aside and comes back to them which is always a good idea. He does positively enchanting work and inspired me to pursue these kinds of images.

Thank you ibclare , am not sure if i can post this here..as iam new to the forums ' what would 8-6 hours work cost if someone wanted work like this done. sorry if i shouldnt be asking. thanks *

Oh no, I don't think there is a problem if you are asking a general question. If you are specifically making a request, you can start a thread under freelance work or, if you have a specific member in mind, just go the the PM, private messaging. Click on person's name or avatar and you'll see the option for a PM.
:mrgreen:

As for how much it would cost, I think that would range greatly depending on whose services/who the artist is and his/her expectations, how complicated the work is, how much material you provide and if the images are of a good resolution or require a lot of manipulation to make them work. I know this is evading, but without a job description, it really is impossible to say. If you have something in mind already, go ahead and ask me here. I may or may not be able to answer precisely -- again it depends on those factors and maybe more. But perhaps I can give you some idea.

Back