What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Specific Any chance anybody can colour this picture ?

clive

Hi all, just wondering if anybody would be able to colour this picture of my Dad in his WWII R.A.F. uniform .
Cheers Clive.

allan smith (2).jpg

PegoMan

I'd love the challenge of doing it and I'll do a version, but it'll be a day or so before I can. I'm sure you'll have a few to choose from. Colorizing is a lot of fun.

PegoMan

Here's a relatively quick version. I'm not too sure of exact colors, so if you want any changed, or areas improved let me know. I colored the uniforms as best as I could determine about RAF uniforms and insignias of that era. It appears that this gentleman was a corporal, and either a squadron leader or commander in a flight squadron. I salute all WW II combatants!
Let me know what changes you'd like.
allan smith (2)-A.jpg

Argos

Guru
Nice work Pegoman, if you don't mind a little advice, use a little more feathering on the selections, so they don't look so linear. It's a little adjustment and the difference it's remarkable.

Cheers!

PegoMan

Nice work Pegoman, if you don't mind a little advice, use a little more feathering on the selections, so they don't look so linear. It's a little adjustment and the difference it's remarkable.

Cheers!
Thanks very much Argos for your input. I did some smoothing and feathering, but will try harder in that area. I appreciate any and all advice. Photoshop is a big part of my retirement and I learn many things from the “gurus”. Thanks

Argos

Guru
You're welcome, you will learn fast with that attitude ^^, here it's some more advice for this kind of job. Don't let any parts unsaturated like the windows or the white parts on the house, even they can be white in real life almost everything has some color or absorb some color from the surroundings, like the glass a little bit of blue or the curtains a little bit yellowish from the sun etc.

Cheers!

PegoMan

You're welcome, you will learn fast with that attitude ^^, here it's some more advice for this kind of job. Don't let any parts unsaturated like the windows or the white parts on the house, even they can be white in real life almost everything has some color or absorb some color from the surroundings, like the glass a little bit of blue or the curtains a little bit yellowish from the sun etc.

Cheers!
Thanks much Argos. Your suggestions re: the subtle colors and how items absorb them makes sense. I will be experimenting with that idea. I enjoy enhancing old photos and, hopefully these additions will make my finished product much better. Thanks very much for your ideas!