What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

anyone know how to get a jigsaw puzzle effect?

Bobzworld

Power User
i wasa wondering if anyone knows how to give a jigsaw puzzle effect to a pic?

thanks

I've tried three plugins which do puzzle pieces and own two. The least flexible is the Puzzle filter which is part of Alienskin's Xenoflex 2 Plugins.
http://www.alienskin.com/

A less well known one I looked at and liked some of the aspects was Puzzle Pro 2.0.
http://www.avbros.com/english/puzzlepro/index.html

However it didn't sway me from liking Puzzle Pieces, a part of DreamSuite 2 by AutoFX. You can create your own shapes, scatter pieces or just move them individually and modify the look quite a bit. It's my favorite.
http://www.autofx.com/dreamsuite2/ds2.html

Here's a quick sample...

I would have to concure with that, this looks great... thnx for the info :perfect:

Excellent links - thanks Welles!! :perfect:

Bobzworld You can achive the same effect without plugins.
1.Open the image you want to aply effect
2.Duplicate backgraund
3. Go to filters Texture >Texturizer >Load texture >Puzzle.psd
4. click OK

Use Lasso Tool to make a selection of one piece of the puzzle press Ctrl/J
and with the move tool move that piece whereever you want.
Make a new layer under the background copy and fill with the color of your choice.

Turn the eye icon on backgaund layer. Voila!

To tell you the truth Lily, I didn't even know this was a native PS filter [confused] . Thanks :perfect:

Good save, Lily.
Goes to show that it's good to know what goodies PS comes with.

I just did some quick fiddling. I prefer to actually open Puzzle.psd, drag it into the target, and operate from there. Not that there is anything wrong with texturizer, but drag-n-drop is more my style. Plus it gives more control (I'm a tweak freak like that).

:perfect: Very good, Lily! I didn't know about the Puzzle effect available from within PS either. I wonder when that was added. Every time I think I've at least looked at everything in PS, I'm surprised to find out I'm wrong again!

Excellent!
I was looking for a tuttorial on this the other day - I tried making the whole thing myself with some rather odd shaped pieces, but this looks a lot simpler!

Lily
Great info on creating the puzzle look in PS. [excited]
Had no idea PS had that effect built in.

anepu

Thanks from me too, Lily. Every day I discover something about this program that I had no clue existed. Too cool. :perfect:

EDIT: I just tried that and it did not work in PS7. A window opens and tells me there is no such file. I tried with a capital and lower case "p" in case it was case sensitive. Did I do something wrong?

Lee
I had that same trouble when I first tryed to load the puzzle.psd using the texture filter. I did a search and found it is located inside one of the default PS folders in Windows.

Here is the path on my own computer. Will be located on the drive that Photoshop resides in.

D:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop 7.0\Presets\Textures\Puzzle.psd

anepu

Apologize for not refering to that specific folder in the first post. ;\

It is in : C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop 7.0\Presets\Textures

In that folder you can find some more textures as well , use Thambnail to view. ;)

Back