What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AOM

limey

Power User
Whoops !!! sorry about that but it just went ahead and posted when I clicked on Return to start a new sentence. My problem is with AOM which until it raised it's ugly head I had no idea what it was. The last few times I've opened up PS 6.0 the screen will freeze and when I Force Quit ( Mac) I see that it is AOM that is forced to quit and not PS as I thought.
I did a search for AOM and found it in the system folder under Application Support for Adobe and in a folder called Web. I've no idea what it does for a living or why it has decided to pop up now. Any ideas anyone, I'm thinking about trashing it. [innocent]

good question Limey! I have no idea what it does!

It is some sort of application (cos its actually AOM.exe on windows cos I have one also in teh same folder as you mention).

I tried to execute the prog by double clicking on it, but it didnt seem to do anything at all. Just sat there!

Because it is in the folder it is in , it could be something to do with online registration or it could be the application that when you are in adobe you can click on the eyeball at the top of the tool bar , that connects you directly to adobes online help, so I am guessing it could be the application that is used to do this? maybe?
AOM might stand for Adobe online Manager or similar?

Possibly what you could do is move it and place it on your desktop (or equivalent on your mac, new folder or sumin) and then fire up PS and see what happens? If it is needed for adobe PS to work you will find out then. If it PS starts OK, then try and poke the little eye icon as mentioned and see if you get any error messages? If it has nothing to do with that and your not online, you should just get a error message telling you your are not connected to the web.

Hopefully someone else can give you a definative answer. I am not much of an expert on this stuff.

Let us know what happens and good luck :)

Hi guys :)

In that folder one of the system extensions has exactly the same icon as at the top of the PS tool bar ,so I think you are spot on there Vp,I think it does stand for Adobe Online Mananger .

Limey maybe AOM is taking memory off PS like the problem you had previously.Or alternatively when you click on the AOM icon on the tool bar you are taken to a new window where you set your browser,how you want to connect,if you want to automatically update etc etc,so it could be one of those settings.AOM can also automatically do updates etc for you,but unfortunately a lot of people have problems with it,me included,so I just dont use it.But dont chuck it as Vp says,move it,or alternatively if that does not work copy it to a cd,then chuck it,because there is a good chance that you may have to do a total re install to get some of it back if you need it and dont have a copy.

Also have a look in your manual Limey

Stu.

Hey great info. Fixed my problem. I couldn't understand why PS ran so slow. Read the info you posted on the AOM.exe, did the fix and yipppiiieee....runs great.

Thanks Osakajo :D

Limey our versions {Mac} have "awe" after the files the guys have mentioned.I just placed the word old after both.I have not tried out PS since then though :)

Stu.

Thanks all of you guys, I knew I could count on you to get me some answers.
What a great source of information :D
I checked my Adobe Online in Preferences for PS and found it was set up to check once a week for downloads. I've disconnected that and will see if that corrects the problem.

Thanks again for the help.
;)

Back