What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apply a Layer Style?

lasa

Power User
Does anybody know if you can "apply" a layer style to the layer,
Like you do a mask?
I've always added a blank new layer and then merged visible...
But there has got to be a easier way.

Thanks,

Lasa

Right-click on the layer style icon within the effected layer in the layers list (palette), and choose "Create Layers". From there, if you wish to, you can merge the resulting layers into one.

NOTE: The "Create Layers" function has a specific purpose. Foremost of which is to allow you to still have some measure of editability on each effect layer.

If this is not desired/wanted, then your initial method of merging a blank layer is your best option. However... you do not have to choose "Merge Visible". You only have to link the 2 layers together and press Ctrl+E. Or, if the blank layer is directly above the effected layer, no 'link' is needed. Simply select the blank layer and press Ctrl+E.

Thanks Keeper,
I've spent years working on this program and I still run across features that I've never noticed, used or considered... or simple procedures I've never imagened.. not to mention the things I've forgotten..lol.....AMAZING.

Thanks,
Lasa

When you use the Create Layers command certain effects based on blend modes get lost, diminished or modified so complex layers will change in look from slightly to significantly.

I use Layer Styels a great deal during quick image creation and frequently have to 'rasterize' a styled layer in order to perform my next action. Some time ago I went on an quest to find out how to make an action which would simply add a new layer and merge them so I could accomplish that goal with one keystroke.

It turned out to be trickier than I had imagined. I finally posted the question here and a long time regular who hasn't been around for a while, Rantin Al, provided the solution. It was a brilliant, if slightly obscure solution of four steps.

Start recording an action:

1. Option (Alt) click on the visibility eyeball next to the layer to have the Styles 'rasterized. This toggles the visibility of all other layers to off.

2. Add a new layer either by the button at the bottom of the layers palette or from the menu.

3. Merge Visible Layers

4. Option (Alt) click the visibility eyeball next to the merged layer to return visibility to the layers.

Stop recording and assign an F-key if you will use it often enough.

Oh my god...I tell you this stuff kills me.
I never knew "Alt + visibility eyeball" turned all other layers off and on!!! I've always done it one by one ...ahhhhhhh
Very nice thank you.
Lasa

this is some good stuff. I virtually live in photoshop (in the preferances folder) and I never knew this. Thanks

Back