What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apply Gradient to Type

mike258

Please help me with this simple question.? When I try to apply a gradient to the type here, I have to rasterize the type layer.? When I do this, the gradient is applied to the entire image rather than just the type.? Help!

sample file.jpg

Thanks,
Mike

You need to make a "mask" out of the rasterized type layer. Several steps involved, but it's an easy task to do.

basics, make a layer that has your radiant colors on it, make another layer that's above that one, for the text. Rasterize and for the heck of it, maybe add color to the layer with the text, then make all the text transparent so that the gradiant shows through. Merge those two layers, and then use the magic wand to make the color around the outside of the text, transparent.

Make sense?

Hi Mike. :)

mike258 said:
When I try to apply a gradient to the type here, I have to rasterize the type layer.?

Don't use the gradient tool, use a layer style instead. ;)

Or ... clip the layer so the gradient is only applied to the type layer. :)

The layer style Gausssian mentions is probably the simpliest solution.

Here's a good example where Photoshoppers should consider learning Illustrator as well for some (or many, as the case may be) things. What you want to do is a simple 3 step operation in Illustrator Step1; make the gradient. Step2; set the type and position over the gradient where you want it. Step3; Select all > Object > clipping mask > make - group- done. Takes about 1.32 minutes. All vector

Ronmatt, with all due respect, the same three steps can be made in Photoshop, and the type is still vector, and still editable. Just ALt+click between the line that separates the two layers, no need for layer hunting.
Or, as Gaussian said, just adding a layer style is even faster!

Great advise but for those who don't know, how do you add a layer style?

I gotta vote for layer style. Just click on the layer style icon at the bottom of the layers palette and go to town. Try out all of the options and settings you see there too because they can do some great things. But I have to mention that especially when dealing with a school themed image you should make it look like you weren't too distracted in school yourself. You can do this by spelling "distractions" correctly. ;)

Lee said:
Great advise but for those who don't know, how do you add a layer style?

I prepared a little screenshot that should explain it. Notice that to be able to use a semi-transparent gradient, I had to set the fill opacity to 0. I just threw in that tip for those who are not very familiar with fill opacity. :)

> for those who don't know, how do you add a layer style?

When the exact terminology is stated, maybe the help file would give relevant results... ;) But indeed, it is easier to grok with a screenshot.

Maybe comments like that are why this forum is having trouble, you think? [shhh]

:perfect: I know, but I really try to promote the use of Illustrator and Photoshop [ en tandem ] Especially to relatively new Adobe users. The power of both applications is enhanced tremendously when used together. My bad.

I was refering to sPECtre's post, Ron, but I guess if the shoe fits...........

I guess I am just VERY sensitive to participating in any help forum on any subject and have someone answer a request for help by suggesting the person read the manual. We had that very thing happen a few months back on this board. Her handle was Ms Oz and she was arrogant about putting folks down for doing work (quality) she did not like and telling all who ask to read the manuals. She's been gone a while now......thank goodness!!!

I guess that I should not be proud of the comparizon... Sorry, if I came as being that confrontational or maybe arrogant...

I genuinely thought that with the proper terminology, the answer can easily be found. I do not say this in an know-it all mindset, but because I believe that experimentation can also be a good teacher. I'll keep this in mind in the future and will try to phrase my posts differently to avoid sounding condescendent.

Geez, sPECtre, ya di*k. :)

(Not directed at anyone)
I know another forum that was nearly killed by the RTFM response. One that was very helpful when I didn`t know all the proper terms to look up in he Help file. Reading the manual is a very good idea in all cases, but sometmes you just don`t know where to look.
In sPECtres defense, I`ve been reading his posts for some time now (on several forums) and have always found them to be helpful, informatve and knowledgeable, if a tad smartassed from time to time. Some of us are just like that.
Personally I`ve forgotten how not to be a smartass.

Hey, no harm done sPECtra. And I certainely was not comparing you to in infamious Ms Oz. You've always been very helpful on this forum. :perfect:

An easy way is the select you type (CTRL+Click the type Layer thumbnail in the Layers Pallette) Open a new Layer. With the selection still active, pull your Gradient.

Back