What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

'Arching' an image?

noslenwerd

Ok, i know how to arch text, but is there a way to arch an image? I know how to skew/distort/perspective and all that... but what about if i want to keep that rounded look?

Thanks!

Well, If you don't have CS2 then rotate the image 90 degrees and go to filter > distort > shear Then just rotate the image back. :D

You can also try using liquify. Polar coordinates can be used also. Depends on how much control you want.

all images are rectangles (90?corners and straight lines.) when saved.

so if you want to do this and keep it like that, you'll need to do it on a layer. see that the background is larger than the distorted image.

for the web you either need gif (tansparancy) or if jpg is needed, you can flatten on the background of your site/your fancy)

you can also use a clipping path which would be more for print (Quark etc)). (create a path/selection of a part of the image)

for home-printing, flatten on a white background.

I was about to start a new topic, but since somebody has already asked this.
Ok, I did this (rotate, shear, rotate), also added some perspective,
but it doesn't look realistic without some shadows.
Adding a drop shadow doesn't do the work.
I need a more realistic shadow. Any ideas on how to do it?

p?tr??k said:
Well, If you don't have CS2 then rotate the image 90 degrees and go to filter > distort > shear Then just rotate the image back. :D

Shadow

Geo, Isolate the image you want to make a shadow of with one of the select tools. open a empty layer beneath and fill the selection with your shadow color (black?), now you can use the transform tool to place the shadow where you need it. Then lower the opacity of the layer... you can also make a gredation etc.
There are a lot of variations of this once you play with it.
Good luck,
Lasa

I found using Distort > Wave gave me the most amount of control. I have been trying to arch some rasterized text for a sticker thats going to go on a tumbler drinking glass and I tried all the above suggestions and i just couldn't get what I wanted until I stumbled on Wave.
  • Go to Distort > Wave >
  • to get a arch I chose '1' for my "number of generators",
  • adjusted the 'min'/'max' of the wave length (this sets where the 'wave'/'arch' starts) to start the wave in the middle of the image.
  • then adjusted the amplitude so it arched just enough for the tumbler.
  • Then set the 'Scale' to Horizontal=1 and Vertical=100 so it only arched it upwards.
Hope this helps.

The easiest way to give it an Arch look is to use the warp .. once the you select the warp tool.. just check the presets at the top of the toolbox and select ARCH....

DONE !!! :thumbsup:

someday, when i have $700 to spend on it. ;-) 7 has plenty of nice features. does enough for me at the moment. :)

Back