What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Assistance with recreating this effect

DWhiteMMA

Hey all,

I'm trying to get a similar effect to the fade around the hair and the shadowing on the face and I've been banging my head against the wall on it for some reason. What do you think the simplest way to copy that effect over would be?

Thanks in advance!

Comparison.png

Aakshat

Power User
I dont know how Guru's would do it. but IMO

For the fade aroud the hairs - soften your selection(refine edge) when you are making selection to cut out your subject from background. paste it on the desired background. To blend it with the background make "color adjustment" and "hue & saturation" or any other adjustment layer needed. after doing that there might be some areas that wont blend perfectly. for that use a soft eraser with 0 hardness and lower opacity like 30 to 40%. and delete the unmatching hairs edge to blend it with the bg.

Shadowing on the face - can be done with simple light blue/black to white gradent.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
If you look at the original art, you will see that she's behind a foggy widow pane that has water drops.
generous.jpg

The following is a super fast demo, it's not meant to be perfect. I did not try to match the lighting of the original.

So you need three layers.

The girl layer...
Screen Shot 2018-09-02 at 4.31.50 PM.png

The fog layer which is a color fill layer with a layer mask to simulate the fog being less on her face. Set this layer to Hard light blending mode.
Screen Shot 2018-09-02 at 4.32.01 PM.png

And the water drop layer. Set this layers blending mode to hard light and lower the layers opacity to 10%.
Screen Shot 2018-09-02 at 4.32.20 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-09-02 at 4.35.37 PM.png

Arya Montini

You can try to select the light part of the image (of the background) with the color selection. Create a new layer with that part and use the Blur. You can copy the blurred file to increase the effect...