What's new

Authentic text effect

Supernube

Hello all. Just joined and have many questions lol.
I have recently been trying to figure out how to copy or replicate rather... old scanned document text. I have actually done a pretty good job but definitely not the right way.
Basically the text on a scanned certificate looks fine until you take a closer look...then its all jagged and a little pixelated with differing pixel colours within each letter.
I trying to replicate it to look the same on text I add... basically forging a certificate... but dont worry its a school merit certificate of my sons lol.
As far as my son is concerned its perfect... but its far from ok in my head as I know there will be a Photoshop way of doing a much better and much easier job.
I may not have described it very well... but Its basically just normal sized text from a scanned document....that looks odd when I zoom in on it...and I want to replicate that look... its not just pixelated...its because it was scanned originally I suppose.
Thinking maybe a clipping mask ? but will that work on small text or a way of creating a font from the look of the original ??
I'll stop talking now lol.
Any help or advice will be very much appreciated.
Thank you
Daniel

20211119_155116.jpg

Rich54

Guru
I'm not sure of your general familiarity with Photoshop, so if I say something you don't understand, just ask. Here are the steps:
  • Create a new Photoshop document with a white background.
  • Add a text layer using the Text tool. Choose any font (I used Arial with font size of 96) and select a font color that is dark gray but not black.
  • Convert the text layer to a smart object. This allows you to apply filters to the text while preserving it as an active text layer where the text can be changed later.
  • Apply a Pixilation filter to the text layer (Filter>Pixilate>Mosaic). I used a mosaic cell size of 3, but that amount will vary based on the size of your text.
  • Apply a Ripple filter to the text layer (Filter>Distort>Ripple). I chose "small" ripples and a ripple amount of 69%. These may change based on your own taste and the specific text you are using.

• For the colored pixilation effect, create a selection of the text and then expand that selection by 2 or 3 pixels.
  • With that selection active, create a new layer above the text and fill it with 50% Gray.
  • Add noise to that gray layer (Filter>Noise>Add Noise). When adding noise, you want colored noise, so make sure to un-check the "monochromatic" box. I forgot what amount of noise I chose, but probably 5% to 10% will work.
  • Go to Filter>Pixilate>Mosaic and use the same setting as you used above.
  • Change the layer blend mode to Hard Light and reduce the layer opacity to around 50%.

• For all the distortion surrounding the text: create a selection of the text and expand it by 8 pixels.
  • With that selection active, create a new layer and fill it with 50% Gray.
  • Add noise (Filter>Noise>Add Noise) of about 2% or 3%. This time we don't want colored noise, so you need to go back and check the "monochromatic" box.
  • Change the layer blend mode to Hard Light. Reduce the layer opacity slightly if you think it needs it.

That's pretty much it.

Rich

Supernube

Thank you so much... that's really good of you.
I'll have a go later... my son is on the PC now lol.
I got close myself using a few things you mentioned here but also DIDN'T do a few things you mentioned here lol.
Thank you very much for your efforts and time.
Daniel