What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Auto Crop and Export EPS Vectors to Separate PNG files

OneOrbit

I have used Photoshop for several years, but I didn't take the time to lean allot of what it can do.
I'm going through Lynda.com videos now and starting to get a little better understanding.

I'm stumped on something that I hope be pretty easy.

I bought some vector eps files from Shutterstock.
Most of these vectors are a bunch of smaller image elements.
(For Instance Icons)

What I would like to do is to find a way to batch crop all of the layers out of the eps and into png files.
Of course they would need slightly different names.

I have seen where you can do something similar, but the smaller images are on a full size transparent background. I would prefer that they are auto cropped.

I have the full CS6 Through Adobe Creative Cloud. So I can use illustrator for part of this if needed.

Thank you in advance for pointing me in the right direction on this.

Thank you for your help, but that is quite different than my needs.
I was hoping there was some way for a script to crop and export each image out of a single eps and export it as a png file.

Let's say you have 200 icons on a single eps file.
You want all of those icons to be separate png files.
Also, you want the png files to be cropped to the image,
so there is not allot of surrounding transparency.

This seems like it should be a feature of illustrator and Photoshop already.
I know there must be a need for it since there are so many eps collections
sold all over.

Thanks again for your help :^)

Sorry OO, I had to leave for awhile.

Ok, Help me out here. I've not used EPS files.

When you open the EPS file, does it look like this?
Skull-and-Crossbones-Silhouettes.2.jpg

Or do the Icons (skulls) open in/on separate canvases?

Yes exactly. Lots of elements on one sheet.

That's a good example since they are not all the same size.

As far as I can tell, and I could be wrong, all the individual images contained or saved within an EPS file can not be extracted from the file itself as individual images? They come out in the sheet form, right?

They can be exported to PSD layers in some cases. (not all work)

Seems a script could do this in illustrator, or in PS if you just convert the eps into a flat transparent png.

Converting the flat sheet to a PNG should be straight forward. Just remove any unwanted elements and save.
Skull-and-Crossbones-Silhouettes.4.png

Without having individual images, the problem is having a way for Illustrator to figure out how to identify the individual images to be separated.

No, not really. The action would only follow one described method. Since the icons (skulls in my example) are all varied in size and shape and position you would have to define a selection for each icon to be used in the action. As far as I know, again I could be wrong, Ps and Illustrator has now way of identifying the individual images on the page (edit) without help from you the user. In the time it's taken us to discuss the matter we could have easily done it manually.

Last edited:
LOL, You are right, but I have a few hundred of these.

It was my own ignorance. I just thought layers could be exported to files.
Just seemed like something that would have been in version 1.0 LOL

So sorry I was not much help!!! Maybe someone with more knowledge will come along with a better answer for you! Good Luck!

Sorry.............

Layers can be exported to files...........it's getting the icons themselves from one single image into individual layers!

Well the eps files I have all have layers.
They were all built in illustrator.

The problem is when you export them they are on a very large transparent background,
and then have to be cropped individually and named.

Just a long process either way.

Hello,
You can do it in Illustrator in a simple manner.
Open the eps file in the Illustrator > With Selection Tool (V) selected, select all (Command-A) > Object : Slice : Make
Slices with individual icons will be made and selected.

Then, File > Save for Web (select png as the file format, I suggest 200% as the Percent of Image Size as 100% may result in too small/poor resolution images, check Transparency, Export: Selected Slices) > Save: choose the designated folder and don't worry about the ***.gif as the suggested name
That's it.

In the designated folder, you will find a new folder "images", and individual png files from all the selected slices (original icons) will have been created.
Good luck.

Back