What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Automate batch with differing width and heights.

Kathykate

Automate batch of images (with differing width and heights) to 300dpi, where am I going wrong?

I know how to create an action and how to automate an action on a bunch of files.

My problem is this:
I have a folder of images, they are probably all 72dpi, but they will be all sorts of different widths and heights ie might be square, might be landscape might be portrait. I need to change them all to 300dpi, and to scale down the width and height of image in proportion (to achieve maximum magazine printing size).

I can make an action to do this, and below is an example of my image size box before, and after I have told it what dpi size I wanted whilst making the Action.

However, when I look at the action details, it says 'Image size' Height: 256.03mm, not 'make image 300dpi'

Then, when I use the action to batch automate a folder of images, it sizes all images to the height of the photo I created the Action with (ie in this case 256.03mm), and the dpi can go more than 300dpi, or less. I will only achieve a 300dpi image is the image is exactly the same size as the one I used to create the Action.

My created action is changing the height, and then adjusting the dpi in proportion. I want it to be the other way around, change the dpi, and then adjust the height and width in proportion.

What am I doing wrong, I've been going around in circles trying to figure it out, and am now tearing my hair out. I have this problem often, can never solve it and end up opening each images individually and resizing to 300, which is monotonous and a time sink.

Any information would be gladly received!

Regards

original size.png

sized to 300dpi.png

Screenshot 2023-03-16 at 11.35.40.png

Hi @Kathykate

It might help to know what version of PS you are using. I am using the most recent version.
I created an Action where all I did was use the Image > Image Size command and change the resolution to 300 with the resample box unchecked and here are the Action steps that were recorded:

Screen Shot 2023-03-16 at 9.07.56 AM.jpg

A different result that you achieved.
So it seems that either the Action step was done differently or you are using a PS version that does it different than it does today.
I infer from your action step is that you typed the Height size that achieved the 300 dpi rather than changing the ppi number directly yet I really don't know that steps you took.
Hope this helps
John Wheeler

Hi John, thanks for your help.

I am using CS6, and no I wasn't typing in height size, I was just changing the resolution size, and height & width would change automatically in proportion.
However, I did wonder if Photoshop was struggling because my action was was telling it to to change dp-inch, but my rulers are set to centremetres...
I changed my rulers to inches, made a new action, and it now works fine. Even when I've changed my ruler back to cms....

Fingers crossed, for now.

Hi John, thanks for your help.

I am using CS6, and no I wasn't typing in height size, I was just changing the resolution size, and height & width would change automatically in proportion.
However, I did wonder if Photoshop was struggling because my action was was telling it to to change dp-inch, but my rulers are set to centremetres...
I changed my rulers to inches, made a new action, and it now works fine. Even when I've changed my ruler back to cms....

Fingers crossed, for now.
Glad you got it worked at @Kathykate
John Wheeler

Back