What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

bachground molding

ronmatt

Guru
http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/3145/gravcurvecopy3oo.jpg

Playing around today, working on simulated 3d backgrounds to help my images look better. This is what I came up with. I think I can make it wirk around irregular shapes as well. Or back to the drawing board. I did it as a textures grid so as to better study it

ronmatt ... that image motivated me ... so I had play, was going reasonably ok too (not to your high standard ... but I was happy with it) ... but I just haven't fathomed how you did the 'pinch' part (umm, I guessed that you used the pinch filter) ... care to share??

Uhhhh.... [confused]....my eyes.....
Ok, I just can't look at it too long or I start seeing things, but I think you almost nailed the 3d perspective of the piece. The sphere in the middle doesn't look compleatly round though. A spherize 2x at 100% works well for me, except that it may get pixelly in the middle if your not working in high resolutions. Besides that, it looks good. :perfect:

p?tr??k said:
A spherize 2x at 100% works well for me, except that it may get pixelly in the middle if your not working in high resolutions.

p?tr??k ... sharpening in between the 'spherise' and the 'scale down' helps to sort the 'pixelly middle' .... \:/ ... or it might be after scaling .... \:/ also (again from memory) a small 'spherise' improves the 'look'...... refer theFounder's Mercator tutorial on this site for the finer details ... it was one the first tutes I did ... and I was sooo impressed I 'hung around' :D ... and it was also one of the first images I animated :) ... regards namvet

Patrick. you're right about the 'roundness'. I physically measured the sphere in my screen, it's wider than it is deep 'x' & 'y' are screwed up. So, this is where I'll need some help. I have a ViewSonic CRT monitor and I did all the adjustments I could to square up the screen but I can't seem to get the 'x'-'y' balanced. I'll try degauss. any suggestions? Why would that physically effect making a circle or square in PS using the marque & shift?

I didn't 'spherize the ball, I distorted the 'grid' before applying it to the sphere ( Ctrl-G ) merged them then added effects.

You never fail to impress, ron. Distorting a texture grid for clipping [innocent], interesting technique! Now I'll never get any damn work done, for experimenting. :D

SCync said:
You never fail to impress, ron. Distorting a texture grid for clipping? [innocent], interesting technique! Now I'll never get any damn work done, for experimenting.? :D

... and the weeds in my garden are going to grow even higher ..... :rofl: ... 'cos I'll be playing with that ... and trying soooo hard to think outside the square :D

Back