What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Specific Background adjustment if possible...

Dziga74

Premium Member
Kind of an odd request here, but can anyone make the brick background look like traditional unpainted natural brick with white grout between? If so please share your process and repost image in original resolution. Thanks very much!!

bn9l9fedbts11.jpg

Dennis1507

I decided to replace the background instead of trying to edit the existing wall. Tried to reduce noise on subject and sharpen a little. Also blurred background a little to help blend the two images. Hope you like the results.

bn9l9fedbts11 (2).jpg

Dziga74

Premium Member
I decided to replace the background instead of trying to edit the existing wall. Tried to reduce noise on subject and sharpen a little. Also blurred background a little to help blend the two images. Hope you like the results.

View attachment 121029
Thanks very much for taking the time to do this, interesting approach. i wouldn't have thought of it.

Rich54

Guru
Here's my try.
  • Selected the background wall.
  • Added Hue/Saturation layer set to Colorize to achieve a traditional brick color.
  • Separately selected the grout areas and desaturated, along with a slight color adjustment.
  • Slightly increased the saturation on the woman.

Brick.jpg

Dziga74

Premium Member
Here's my try.
  • Selected the background wall.
  • Added Hue/Saturation layer set to Colorize to achieve a traditional brick color.
  • Separately selected the grout areas and desaturated, along with a slight color adjustment.
  • Slightly increased the saturation on the woman.

View attachment 121031
really excellent result, looks very natural. Thanks very much!

JeffK

Guru
The more I played with this image, the more I realized it was a very good shot and needed little revision. The wall colors work out fine and provide a soft contrast to the woman.
Only thing I did was brighten here eyes, did an overall sharpening (the image was a bit blurry), and lightened up some shadows on her face.
Repaired some minor blemishes.
I think it needs some tighter cropping but I'll leave that up to the OP.
This is all my opinion of course...and often the wrong one. But this is a beautiful shot and nicely done. :)
- Jeff
portrait with brick edited.jpg

Last edited:

Dziga74

Premium Member
The more I played with this image, the more I realized it was a very good shot and needed little revision. The wall colors work out fine and provide a soft contrast to the woman.
Only thing I did was brighten here eyes, did an overall sharpening (the image was a bit blurry), and lightened up some shadows on her face.
This is all my opinion of course...and often the wrong one. But this is a beautiful shot and nicely done. :)
- Jeff
View attachment 121039
Thanks Jeff, really nice work. It's a n improvement I didn't realize it needed. The Bricks change was an aesthetic choice. Now f I can figure out how to combine your work with what Babin did with the background, it'll be gold.

Dziga74

Premium Member
Thanks Jeff, really nice work. It's a n improvement I didn't realize it needed. The Bricks change was an aesthetic choice. Now f I can figure out how to combine your work with what Babin did with the background, it'll be gold.
- Jeff
View attachment 121039
If you don't mind my asking, what did you use to sharpen? Topaz?

JeffK

Guru
If you don't mind my asking, what did you use to sharpen? Topaz?
Yep - used Topaz Sharpen AI. I tried using a high pass filter set to overlay but couldn't get the same result. Sometimes it's a matter of playing with different tools to get you to where you want to go.

Sharpen AI is not a fix-all program and does have its limitations. You can set it to auto and roll with it or play with the sliders. What you have to be careful of is creating artifacts. I've learned to review the edit to check to see if I needed to repair any errors the software created.

Knowing where you want to go is always the best way to judge the result. :cheesygrin:

- Jeff

ex_teacher

Guru
Here's another variation. I chose this background with its high contrast nature to go with the high contrast dress...for good or ill.

Also tonal changes to woman plus sharpening. Topaz detail, Topaz clarity, USM and a lot of juggling with vibrance/saturation on the two layers.

BrickBkGrd_3a.jpg

Last edited: