What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Specific Background blur

apeman

Hi,
Can anyone please remove the guys in the background and blur it. Or change the background altogether.
IMG_20170614_045650_741.jpg

Well, I tried. I think someone else could do a better job around the hair though.
well, I tried.jpg

I know your using GIMP, does it have a good pen tool?

These edges are poorly selected. How did you select them?
Screen Shot 2018-07-16 at 12.48.06 PM.png

I have actually switched to Affinity. I've been using the selection brush, which kind of works but it doesn't. It automatically snaps to edges, but it often doesn't recognize boundaries very well. In some areas I went over the edges with a thin Smudge brush to try to smooth them a bit, which helped but didn't solve the problem.
I could try to switch to the polygonal lasso (though I would have to hold shift the entire time because it's a sub-tool of the regular lasso tool). With the polygonal lasso tool, I can click a bunch of points and it would draw straight edges between them. After that maybe the selection brush could be useful for touching up the edges.
I don't own a copy of Photoshop, so I don't know what the pen tool does. Is it a selection tool?

I have actually switched to Affinity. I've been using the selection brush, which kind of works but it doesn't. It automatically snaps to edges, but it often doesn't recognize boundaries very well. In some areas I went over the edges with a thin Smudge brush to try to smooth them a bit, which helped but didn't solve the problem.
I could try to switch to the polygonal lasso (though I would have to hold shift the entire time because it's a sub-tool of the regular lasso tool). With the polygonal lasso tool, I can click a bunch of points and it would draw straight edges between them. After that maybe the selection brush could be useful for touching up the edges.
I don't own a copy of Photoshop, so I don't know what the pen tool does. Is it a selection tool?

As it turns out, I've just been looking in the wrong place, and Affinity Photo does actually have a pen tool exactly like Photoshop's. Thanks guys, I would never have found that without you! :D (I was going to try this again, but the program closed mid-selection. Maybe tomorrow, if no one else makes an attempt, I'll try again.)

Here's a quick version. I think the original photo was enlarged from a smaller image, so the quality is not that great.

Apeman_01.jpg

I've used MentosCubing image but just added my version of the hair.

Topaz.png

Smok3 its a problem of focus, if you see the original picture the brightness between the hair its part of the sharp sky, but you blured the sky, so you have to do it also on those spots. (hope it's understadanble XD)

CHeers!

Maybe I'm wrong but those white parts aren't reflections but should have been transparant...

Mind you, I never said it was an easy one and to be honest I would not have a go at it without spending hours work...

example.gif

Smok3 its a problem of focus, if you see the original picture the brightness between the hair its part of the sharp sky, but you blured the sky, so you have to do it also on those spots. (hope it's understadanble XD)

CHeers!
I never blurred anything, just added the hair...we all make mistakes and that's part of the learning curve.
It makes good practice when you have constructive critisism to help us learn.

I messed with the hair a bit and came up with this. Just did some spot-healing on the white areas of the hair to eliminate them. This selection definitely still needs work though.
well, I tried... again.jpg

Back