What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Barbed Wire?

the first thing I would do is try and find some good photos of barbed wire. Google image search is good for that. Once you have some good photos you can use these for reference. Try and work out what about the shape and texture makes it look like barbed wire. This will help you when you make your own.

To actually make it, you will want to use the 'pen tool' to make your base curve. If you can find some 'wire tuts' (like electrical wire), this will help you get the main part of the barbed wire shape.

Next your going to want to make your barbs, you can probably do this again using the pen tool , be creative, think similar to making the main wirey bit , but smaller. Once you have one barb, you can probably copy it and use it along the whole wire, just translating each one slightly to make them look a little different.

Texture? is it old barbed wire (rusty) or brand new shiny barbed wire? This will affect how you texture it.

It would be nice to know if your text is large or small? This also makes a difference in how much details you need to use when working.

Hope that gives you some ideas and I'll see if I can work up an example....

this image shows a view of the path I made (200%). The more I look at it, the more I realise its a rough looking path!! }P , but it was a quicky,

hope it gives you some ideas...

Sorry I never got around to adding to your thread on sheet metal DominatorX, but I think VP has probably done a better job of it anyway :)

Depending on the scale of your final image, barbed wire usually has 2 cores rather than just one, it's made from lots of shorter lengths that are tied together, the knots are the 'barbs'. You could do this by duplicating the path then manipulating the points to make them look as if they are twisted together. A bit of masking completes the effect.

Back