What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

basic PS7 question here

laura

Wondering if anyone can aswer this. Can I run PS7 with Win98se have got a pretty beefy system almost a gig of ram. The PS7 box sez min requirements Win 2000.

Is there anything that won't work with my system and PS7.

Will my machine not accept it.......all my color profiles and calibration with my Epson work great with my current PS6.

Be great if anyone can shed some light on this.
Many Thanks Laura

laura .. firstly, welcome .... I'm using PS7 with windows98 without probs, on 2 different pc's, both have 512ram, 1.1processor ... I am an amatuer but I do get some very big files (53mb .. well big for me anyway ... lots of duplicated layers, just in case i mess up :D )... neither computer has given me any PS7 probs, ... especially after I 'fixed' the scratch disks - so I can't see that you should have ... if you do have any problems just ask theirs heaps of help at this forum ...

How did you fix the scratch disks? This is one area where I get confused. I only have one hard drive...so how do I make this warning box happy???

tranquil222 .... my computers have one drive which is partitioned into b(hidden - a copy of c) c and d ... PS7 is on c and the scatch disks are on d which is 60 gig .. as for your question this thread should help you .. in particular Mindbenders explanation (on page 2) about leaving some 'set' memory for your O/S otherwise PS will eat it all up and the O/S chucks a wobbly :)
http://www.photoshopgurus.info/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2349&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

Ian is right. As usual.

The main reason(s) why Adobe is referring to Win2K (or XP) are a better memory (RAM) management and a less crash-prone operating system. Don't let these frighten you: I know people who have three different logins on 98, two of them are for the kids who install every game demo they can lay their hands on etc etc and they never have a BlueScreenOfDeath. So it all depends. 98 Can be very stable too.
As for the memory management: 98 takes a percentage of your ram, which means that it takes far too much of your one gig. But that still leaves you with enough ram to go with. One small possible issue is this: 98 doesn't free your ram for new use as efficiently as its newer and bigger brothers. I remember, when I was on 98second, that I had to restart my system from time to time when I was doing a lot of scanning. (This is something macOS9 users also know).

As for the scratch files: windows also uses unused psace on your hard disk to store its temporal data when you are working. As it does this in a chaotic way, Photoshop, which also wants to use this space for its data (no that's mine! no, I tell you: it's MINE! like kids...and some grown-ups), tries to get hold of this storage space too, and this leads to crashes. That's why we separate both scratch files. Best is to give windows98 the default C: and give PS in the best of cases some space on a second hard disk, and if this is not possible, on another partition. For 98 this is rather important due to the awkward way it uses your puter's RAM.

final conclusion: when it works, forget about it. When it doesn't: try to find a cheap solution.

Great advice and explanations Ian (namvet) and Erik! :perfect:

Just want to say hi laura and welcome you to the forum! Have fun with PS7... and enjoy your time here! :)

Thank you very much

Hi everyone thanks a lot for your excellent advice.

I am not much of a technocrat with partitions and scratch discs etc

but it sounds like I can do it ok.......I do have a big memory bank....some of the files I handle start off at 130mb through a Nikon coolscan4000.

Thanks agin I am impress with your knowledge. I must have taken years and years to aquire.

Thanks again :) Laura

laura wrote:
I am impress with your knowledge. I must have taken years and years to aquire.
... that would be true of erik ... very knowledgable (and in particular a great help re scanners and printing) as are many others here .. your question was one I had asked about 10 months ago (and it is often asked about scratch disks) as I had trouble and all the help I needed was here at PSG ... for a change I was able to help someone instead of being helped .. just as you will, I have no doubt

Hey Ian: your replies are always correct. Don't be too shy, now. I just added something, but your reply was already sufficient. :perfect:

good answers guys and I second Wendy........... Welcome to the board Laura :perfect: nice to have you here with us.
sfm

thanks erik .. I was pleased you posted as well .. why? .. a second, confirming reply adds credability to this board.. 'cos for the info seeker (in this case laura) it confirms to them that the first info post (mine) is correct before they start changing their system/settings etc (which I consider is important before trusting your system to total stranger)... anyway, I enjoyed reading again your "it's mine, no it's mine" description of memory usage :D

Back