What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Beginner Starburst tutorial help =(

cupids

Hello, I was trying out the starburst tutorial but when I got to stage 8, I got stuck somehow. I selected the whole image and clicked crop, but when I clicked clt-alt click on starburst layer, and following by the clt-shift-I,there was a warning that popped up saying no pixels selected. I am stuck at here and have tried all ways countless times. Cld someone kindly help me out or are there any images to follow the tutorial at step 8 so that I can better understand it? What is the starburst layer?? The black one? Or the transparent one!! Someone please help me! I wld appreciaite very much if there were screenshots to go with it..!! Thks!!!

When I first learned how to do this those steps confused me too! However, there is another way to do it!

After you have JUST created your starburst,

1. Add a new layer.
2. Paintbucket with a color of your choice, fill NEW layer with that new color
3. Right - click on the new layer IN the Layers Menu and choose blending options
4. In the uppermost window, choose Color Burn
5. Then move the slilder to pick your level of color burn opacity, accept the new change and voila!

Hope this helps!

You're just reading things a little incorrectly cupids, that's all. ;)

I clicked clt-alt click on starburst layer
It's not Ctrl-Alt click... it's just Ctrl-click. The other abbreviation os for Mac users (/Cmd). Since Ctrl+Alt clicking is a legitimate function in PS, it could perform the wrong function and cause confusion; in PS6 and earlier.

You could also just do it this way: right-click on the black starburst layer and choose "Select Layer Transparency" from the menu.

In any case... i've taken your request to heart and recreated that tutorial, using more images. Hope that helps. :) Just redownload the pdf, it'll be the new version now.

FYI:
The reason we're creating our starburst on its own layer, and not merging it with the background layer ( like other starburst tutorials do ) is because i wanted our starburst shape to be independant of the background. This allows for much more versatility in editng, moving, comping, colouring, etc... These things wouldn't be possible or as simple to do if the starburst was embedded into the background layer. So that's why there are extra steps needed to be done in my version of this effect.

:B

Oh no...now there's a prob =( My adobe reader says it cant decrypt the doc!!!!! =(

Really?! Aw crap. Sorry.

You should make sure you have the newest version of the reader though actually. I use Acrobat 6 to encode and try to make all docs compatible with v5 and up. But some files may have been encoded only for 6 and up without me realizing it.

To avoid hassles with ANY of the PDF files, i recommend v6+of the PDF Reader from Adobe.

Sorry for the problems.

PS: please let me know though if you DO have the newest reader version and still can't open the file. Thanks. 8))

Back