What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best way to fix blown-out sky?

EyeofBuf

Shot Niagara Falls on Friday around 5:30pm. Sun was atrociously bright and half of my photo is blown out.

Tried the Adobe Lightroom sky filter, but it doesn't match the left-hand side of the photo. That filter would be great if you had a photo completely blown out, with no natural sky to be seen.

Ideas?

NFalls.png

This is tricky, If you shot in raw mode you should be able to bring back some detail in selective areas by using the adjustment brush in lightroom.

However if there is no recorded data there you cant really do that.

The alternative would be to replace the sky with another image of sky before you process the picture for the look you have got, this obviously depends on how many pictures you have taken on what time it will take.

I can get a 30 day trial to PS.
I'm thinking:

Cut out the left-hand side of the photo, flip horizontally, and paste on the other side... the problem might be the buildings and pasting over those.

Anyone have any specific instructions for dealing with that? A layers tutorial online?

You can do that and if you put the layer blending mode to darken then your buildings should be left in tact possibly need a slight tweaking of a mask applied.

Put PS on my adviser's computer :)

Used the clone stamp tool.

How'd I do?

I feel like there are some dark circles where I stamped.

Opinions, please!

NF2.png

Hey EyeofBuf,

Nicely done! I did notice that there are two blue patches on the right half of the image that could be smoothed out some. Also, there is a patch of cloud that is noticeably repeated (see diagram). Just a few clicks with the stamp or heal tool should fix it up no problem. I've attached a quick visual of what I'm talking about.

Also, you probably are already aware of this, but the left side of the image is more vibrant than the right. I'd match them up more using some image adjustment tools (vibrance, curves, exposure, contrast) so that the composition looks more continuous.

Hope this helps,

Treydahnbackground.jpg

Hello,
I still think the information is there in the white cloud, which could be brought out. The question is what do you prefer, to work with actual photo as it was taken or create nice looking photo. You already have the later, for fixing I would try levels and blending.
Best regards,
Peter

Back