What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best way to work with multiple layers...?

neolite

I have created a graphic that has about 15 layers. I want to use that image in another photoshop file as a button. I don't want to flatten it, in case I want to make changes to it later. How do you deal with using a photoshop image in other photoshop pages without losing all the layers?

Thanks in advance from one of the new guys (obviously) 8} ,

Neolite

AppleCider

Power User
First, welcome, neolite!

If you want all the layers (or some) in another Photoshop file, link all the layers you want to move, and make sure one of them (doesn't matter which one) is active. Then make sure the move tool is active and drag and drop into the other file. All the layers will move intact.

neolite

Linking layers

Thanks for getting back to me.

I went to HELP and it says:

"Select a layer or layer set in the Layers palette.
Click in the column immediately to the left of any layers you want to link to the selected layer. A link icon appears in the column"

The column to the left is the "brush" icon that shows if you are editing the current layer. the only other column showing is the "eye" which shows or hides a layer. Am I "Link-illiterate"?

neolite

...ummmm

;\ never mind.

I see that it is the layers that are NOT active that I need to click on to link them to the active layer.

Thanks.

AppleCider

Power User
I should have explained it better, but you got it, neolite! :perfect:

Also, in case you haven't found out yourself, drag from the image window; don't try to drag from the layer palette! (Believe me, people try to do this, and wonder why it doesn't work)

C9Mouse

Power User
Another method you could use is to link together all the layers in the original file you want to use, then in the File menu go to Layers>New>Layer Set From Linked. This will make a Layer Set from all the linked layers, then you can open the other document, grab the Layer Set you just made, and drag it into the other document window.

Morpheus: I'm trying to free your mind, Neo. But I can only show you the door. You're the one that has to walk through it.

LOL .... sorry, couldn't resist :)

neolite

Now THAT is what I'm talkin' about. Creating a set from the linked layers is what I needed. I knew there had to be a way to put all those layers into a neat little package.

Thanks to all who helped.

Neolite

P.S. Just for you, C9Mouse:

Neo: What are you trying to tell me?
That I can dodge bullets?

Morpheus: No, Neo. I'm trying to tell you
that when you're ready, you won't have to.

C9Mouse

Power User
Neo,

LOL .... cool, I am glad that helped. You can also name your Linked Sets just like your Layers. Also, if you use Layer Sets to keep yourself organized, you can also color code them.

First right click on your Layer Set, and choose Layer Set Properties:

color1.jpg

Then click on the drop-down arrow and choose a color:

color2.jpg

Now you have a color-coded Layer Set:

color3.jpg

Morpheus: There is a difference between knowing the path and walking the path.