What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

black border

Mrbee

Hello,

I need help with creating a black border arround my picture.
When I use stroke with size 1. I will get a border arround the 3 parts of the flag.
How can I make a border arround the flag?

afghanistan.png

JeffK

Guru
As in all things Photoshop, many different ways to get something done.
Try this - open your image and make sure it's on a transparent background:

1674485217198.png

Go to the bottom of the layer stack, click on the plus symbol in the box to add a new layer. Then drag that new empty layer underneath
the flag layer:

1674485363186.png

Now go back to your flag layer and click on it to activate it. Holding own your CTRL key (Windows) or CMND key (Mac), click on the image of the flag
You'll see marching ants appear around the image of the flag:

1674485607922.png

Now go to your top menu, click on Select > Modify > Expand, and you'll get a dialog box that will ask how many pixels to "Expand by".
This will determine how thick the border will be. I'll put in "3" so you can see more clearly what I'm doing. Then click OK.
The marching ants have now moved 3 pixels away from the selection:

1674485974295.png

With the marching ants still active, click on the bottom layer to activate it, then go up to Edit > Fill and choose black (or go to Color
and choose any color from the color palette that shows up):

1674486153633.png

Click OK:

1674486281753.png

Click CTRL+D (or CMND+D) to deactivate the ants. What you've essentially done is create a black fill layer underneath your flag layer that is 3 pixels (or 1 pixel if you choose it)
larger than your subject. You can change the border color by filling the solid color layer with another color of your choosing.

Just another way to do it.... :)

1674485542479.png