What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Blending photo edges for collage

wotnow

Hi I have been googling for over an hour now trying to find out how to blend several images to make soft edges between each other.

header_pic.jpg

All I have come up with super impose other images onto each other or put a feather around the edges.

Appreciate any suggestions, thanks

Position your images as you want them apply a layer mask to each 1 using the 1st default brush in photoshop brush panel the soft edge 1 just paint in black on the layer mask at about 70% opacity then repeat for each edge.

You can use a gradient on a mask to conceal or reveal parts of an image. For example: you have two images, 2 layers. Add a layer mask to the one above. The mask thumbnail will be selected. Black will reveal the layer below, white will keep the image above. You can set stops on the gradient or you can use the rectangular marquis and limit the gradient within that. Put the Selection where you want the fade. You can also paint on the mask if you want to make more custom, painterly effects. Just vary opacities and hardness of the brush and go back and forth as needed between the black and the white.

Hope this helped :mrgreen:

Last edited:
Yeah the GRadient tool is the best option for even balance I would agree but if you are new to photoshop I would suggest using a doft brush and layer mask to get to understand how layer masks work first and then get into painting layer masks with gradients just make sure if you are using a layer mask and gradient that you have the black to white or black to transparant gradient selected and yes use a marquee selection to confine within a certain area.
here is the basic paint brush method in a psd so you can see the layers etc.
View attachment beach7.psd

Broome hey, feeling the heat today mate, 35c here today Perth

Hi Thanks for all your responses. Pretty hot here today but gorgeous sunset tonight .. love your avatar paul. I have placed the 2 images on 2 separate layers with a layer mask on each .. made a selection around the edges where they join .. have the brush set to 70% opacity run the black brush down the selection and it makes the selection opaque to the point of transparency .. so I bumped the opacity to 24% and it is still deleting pixels

Set your brush to 0% hardness and opacity to about 30% and your flow down to 30% also. You will have to make more strokes but you will have more control. Also the larger the brush the softer the edge.

You do realize that your images must overlap by a considerable amount right?

no I did not realise that .. i only had them overlapping a little. Thanks so much .. I feel so dumb but relieved.

No need to feel dumb. Everyone here is at a different location on the learning curve. I have been where you are. Your lucky though, I didn't know about PSG then. :)

Be warned: the danger of using the mask is that one is always accidentally painting on the RGB image by accident. To check the content of your mask option click on it.

Be warned: the danger of using the mask is that one is always accidentally painting on the RGB image by accident. To check the content of your mask option click on it.

Ha ha, is that ever true. Luckily I've caught myself before my history states pass! Of course, I added to that number just for such mistakes :mrgreen:

Back