What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Book Cover Art assistance

Status
Not open for further replies.

EmperorLuBu

I am preparing to release a novel at the end of this month, and would like some assistance with the front cover art.

I already have two photos which I would like to blend, and know how I want it done (without knowing any of the official Photoshop terms for what I want done, mind you).
There will only be minor changes other than the blending for the initial photos.

I have ideas for the custom title work as well, and trust you are proficient with the creation of those. The binding and back cover will naturally be a part of the process.

As for payment:
The book has yet to launch, and NYC is expensive... so, what I am offering is this...

* Money - Your remuneration will be 2% of the gross sales (paid monthly*) up to a $1,000 cap.
(For a better idea of the concept, the TPB sells for $10, and the eBook sells for $5 -->
Ergo, every time a TPB is sold, you make $0.20; and you make $0.10 for every eBook.)
* I'd pay you weekly, but Amazon only does monthly metrics, so I can't help it.

* Recognition - Your cover art will be credited right inside the book (by whatever name you choose).

* Future Work - This book is the first of a dectilogy (<-- a portmanteau I had to create for "10 book series",
considering such a term does not broadly exist as of yet), and I don't want to be scrounging for
a talented artist every 2-3 months, so if I like your work, you may create every future title's
cover art!

That's my proposal.
If you'd like to work on this project, please submit a few low-res, watermarked examples of any work you've done of a castle/medieval nature to me here via PM. If I like your work, we will communicate via email, so be sure to include your business email in the PM.

Thanks for reading.

Welcome to PSG , EmperorLubu.

In terms of payment, this is subject to negotiation with prospective designers or designer of your choice.

As this is a major project, be reminded to deal with qualified, PSG freelance designers ONLY..... Rules for PSG Freelancers .

Good luck in your hunt for your book cover's designer......

Thanks for the welcome and advice, dv8_fx!

I intend to deal with the PSG freelance designers only, and recognize that they should post here as well as sending me a PM.

Incidentally, I wouldn't call it a "major" project, as it should be relatively simple for someone who knows their way around the software that you all use. The only real "artwork" will be required in the title's largest text (which is only one word, and which I already have the general colors and an idea of the font design I want, ready to supply the artist).

The only major thing about it, technically, is the payment... which I understand is more than one would generally receive for this type of work. However (much like I tip good pizza delivery guys in excess because I used to be one - four times, in fact), I want to encourage good work from good people and make these kinds of remunerations available to guys/gals who may just be starting out and need that extra bit of encouragement that comes from seeing your work in print. I love it as a writer, so I KNOW you guys/gals love it as artists.

Also, I'm offering easily 3x what I believe the job to be worth (in the long run) because I want to reward a talented artist for having faith in me right up front. It's not always easy to surrender your time (however small) to someone when it looks like it might end up being free. (And from what I've read on here, that seems to be a common danger for you all.) I'm asking for that faith up front, so that's why I give my word for a much greater payment. I want to repay people who believe in me.

Correction: Third section should read "...and for which I already have..."

Sorry, but there's no "Edit" button.

You will see an edit button once you have - I believe - 8 posts.

Good luck with the job. You might want to keep in mind that few freelancers will work without some upfront payment. But I could be wrong. I hope you will find what you want here; we have some talented artists.

Would you please describe the image/genre you are looking for. That will let our freelancers know if they have the bent for doing the illustration that will be acceptable to you. If it is abstract you want, something along the lines of your avatar, etc. If you give us a tentative title or some ideas of what it might be, that will inspire the imagination!'

Edit: I just read your introduction so I think that helps in descriptive terms. Nevertheless, feel free to give detailed guidelines.

Last edited:
You will see an edit button once you have - I believe - 8 posts.

Good to know; I was curious about its absence.

EDIT: Apparently, it's 6 posts! ^_^

Would you please describe the image*/genre** you are looking for. That will let our freelancers know if they have the bent for doing the illustration that will be acceptable to you.

* I'm not looking for any original content (I merely have two photos I need combined in a specific way), save for the title font, which I have some ideas about - that I intend to share with whatever artist I decide to work with.
** I suppose I shouldn't have assumed that someone would have gleaned the genre from my request for "work you've done of a castle/medieval nature"; so for clarification, that's it.

Last edited:
You're welcome to give me a pm or email gohan2091@hotmail.com and we can discuss this :) People know me on here for doing good work, however, I have no examples of what you require :(

Although you are the second person to say that, you are the first person to both follow the posting requirements for a "PSG freelance designer" (posting in the thread, not just a PM) as well as providing a business email (which I asked for initially - and the first guy also left out). That makes you currently the front-runner.

I'm giving it one additional business day (as working types will likely check this Forum on Monday afternoon), and if no one has a history of medieval or castle designs that they've done, then I will consider the applicants who do not.

Thanks for reading.

LuBu, thank you very much for not dealing with people who don't post their interest in your thread. They are possibly not recognized forum freelancers and as such we can't assist if you encounter problems. Our trusted freelancers will follow the guidelines as gohan has done.

I hope you will be able to clarify what it is you want, but I have to agree with gohan that it is still not quite clear what imagery you have in mind. You surely do. Anyway, I'm sure you'll work it out with the designer.

I hope you will be able to clarify what it is you want, but I have to agree with gohan that it is still not quite clear what imagery you have in mind. You surely do. Anyway, I'm sure you'll work it out with the designer.

Not meaning to be contentious, but he said nothing of the sort. You've been the only one unclear on what I'm looking for in my proposed project. And considering you're not applying for the job, I don't feel obligated to clarify myself to you. Nothing personal.

Why not post the 2 x images you want blending so that people can see what it is you want ?. you might get more response from the free lancers when they see how much work is involved.

I think Gohan meant that he doesn't have past work samples of the genre the OP is asking for - castle/medieval scene related works.....

EmperorLubu .....

The 2 images you speak of.... I know it's the preferred image you have in mind for your book and would like someone to compose it into one. But will you allow to give the designer's free-reign to create an image based on the theme you have in mind?

I ask this because I wouldn't want you to encounter violations merely because the images you have may be copyright material. This may affect your marketing.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back