What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Specific Book Cover Creation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Njenkins0013

I just need the front cover of the book, not the spine or the back.
165BB0D9-C0B5-48FB-8D5C-36BFAF497CEF.jpeg
I want this to be the background, or something similar to this because the title of the book is After The Storm.

JeffK

Guru
What is the size of the cover (width X height)?
Do you want the entire image on the cover? If only part, which part?
Is it an ebook or printed?
- Jeff

Njenkins0013

It’s going to be both an ebook and printed. The entire image on the cover would be best. The size of the cover is 6”x9”

JeffK

Guru
The problem is that you have an oblong (wide) image being used on an upright (narrow) cover. So if you want the maximum amount of the image on the cover, you'll only get about 1/3
pf the original image to fit into the upright size. The blue lines represent the trim size of the book ( 6 wide X 9 high):

rainbow cropped.JPG
You would need to choose which part of this image you want to appear on the cover.
If you scale the image down, you reduce both the height and the width.
Unless I'm completely off base here...
- Jeff

Njenkins0013

Do the right side of the image where the blue lines have been marked off. I actually think I like that better than the original.

JeffK

Guru
Gurus - I'm having trouble scaling and outputting the final image. I'm also getting "generator" errors in PS which may be the problem.
Can someone please jump on this so the OP isn't abandoned? Trying to work out these technical issues in the meantime....
- Jeff

JeffK

Guru
I think I got it.
There's a PNG version/300ppi for print and a jpg version/72ppi for ebook/web. Trims are 6-1/4 X 9-1/4 to allow for bleeds.
I hope this works for you - let me know if a problem.
- Jeff

rainbow sky print version.png

rainbow sky ebook version.jpg

polarwoc

Guru
The entire image on the cover would be best. The size of the cover is 6”x9”
I know the pain of having to choose between a part of the image you liked for the cover just so it fits proportion, and wanted to avoid that. When I tried finding a similar image on the net I found a better resolution one that scales in proportion to 6"X8". I just dragged the image horizontally 1" to suit the desired proportion hoping the now distorted horizontally oblong image does not appear skewed. I then added a 1 inch trim on all sides as shown here.
1.png

Your full image (300 PPI) is here:
1751-After-Screenshot_2021-01-24 rainbow-jpg_1200x900 jpg (WEBP Image, 1200 × 900 pixels).jpg
Original image that scales in proportion to 6"X8" (72 PPI) is here:
1751-Before-Screenshot_2021-01-24 rainbow-jpg_1200x900 jpg (WEBP Image, 1200 × 900 pixels).png
You have an alternative too - an image that is similar appears on Getty Images and its number is 1176551041 if you want to purchase it at full resolution.

Note: If your book is Portrait, as in 9" is the height and not width, then of course all the above images will not help.

All the best with your book.

Last edited:

JeffK

Guru
Note: If your book is Portrait, as in 9" is the height and not width, then of course all the above images will not help.

@polarwoc - standard is usually width X height. So 6 X 9 would be 6" in width X 9" in height.
The landscape version you proposed would work for what we would call a 2-page spread - or wraparound - in printing. Plus the spine if a book.
I believe the OP was only looking for the front cover so the portrait size (6X9) would be the choice. In print, would be called an upright.
- Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.