What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brush Tool (Healing, spot healing, patch tool) is inactive

brahmamr

Hello Friends,

I'm using Photoshop CC 2017. Windows OS is 7.

1. When I open a photo, in layers, background copy is shown with a brush 1597644750569.png rather photo as such. I was able to view normally without any issues earlier.
2. I'm unable to select the brush tool (Healing/Spot Healing etc... .) by pressing or using J.
3.. I tried to select manually from rectangle box (below file) but I can see there only Healing Brush

Can you pls help on how can I get back the tool to normal and select as usual?

1597644709423.png

1597644435926.png

Here's one issue solved.
Click on the drop down menu located at the top right of the layers panel and select Panel Options
Change Thumbnail Size from None to your desired size.

wHzf5.gif

For the tool issue, have you tried resetting your tools?
Right click on the tool icon in the upper left hand corner.
Choose one or both. See if this works.
Screen Shot 2020-08-17 at 7.53.18 AM.png

If all else fails....reset your prefs.

This is how to reset your preferences in Photoshop: Press-and-hold Command-Option-Shift on a Mac or Ctrl-Alt-Shift on a PC, while you start Photoshop. As you start the program you will get a pop-up dialog asking you if you would like to delete the settings file. Deleting the file will create a new set of preferences from scratch.

Here's one issue solved.
Click on the drop down menu located at the top right of the layers panel and select Panel Options
Change Thumbnail Size from None to your desired size.

View attachment 114667

For the tool issue, have you tried resetting your tools?
Right click on the tool icon in the upper left hand corner.
Choose one or both. See if this works.
View attachment 114668

If all else fails....reset your prefs.

This is how to reset your preferences in Photoshop: Press-and-hold Command-Option-Shift on a Mac or Ctrl-Alt-Shift on a PC, while you start Photoshop. As you start the program you will get a pop-up dialog asking you if you would like to delete the settings file. Deleting the file will create a new set of preferences from scratch.

Thank you Sam. Your answer helped me to fix issue 1. Backgroun layer now showing the picture.

2. I tried the reset option before posting on this forum and it did not work.
3. I tried Ctrl+Hold+Alt while opening Photoshop but unfortunately no pop up has come. Not sure whether I did it write or not.
I went to Edit---Tool Bar----Restore to Defaults. It worked.

Thank you for your quick answer once again.

You're welcome! Glad something worked!

Back