What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"Brushstrokes" that reveal the underlying layer?

Gerardo

Hi guys. I'm sure this is a rookie question. I'm using two layers. Now I want to reveal the underlying layer exactly where I pass my cursor and nowhere else. How can I do that? What I kind of tool must I use?

Any suggestion will be very much appreciated :).

Mogsy

Hi Gerardo,

On the top layer if you add layer mask, this will then create a white layer mask (I say white but it will be invisible on your layer) on this layer - then use your brush (make sure foreground colour is set to black) then you can literally paint over the layer mask to reveal layer below. The good thing about doing it this way is if you make an error you can 'paint' back over in white to reveal the top layer again.

Hope this helps. If you need examples or further instructions let us know.

Last edited:

Gerardo

Thanks @Mogsy ! OK, what am I doing wrong? I thought I had understood you but when I use the brush I make black strokes instead of revealing the underlying layer. I'm attaching a screenshot so you can have a look at my settings. Maybe it'll help detect what I'm doing wrong. I use Photoshop in Spanish but I don't think that'll be a problem with all the icons.

Screenshot.jpg

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
If your using the two layers with the same image, the layer mask won't help. The bottom image must be different than the top image.

In your screenshot, you have the bottom layer turned off and you have not added any black brush strokes to the layer mask as Mogsy explained.

Here is an example of what Mogsy was referring to..............

Two layers
Top layer is the image of the girl
Bottom layer is filled with red
Top layer has a layer mask with a rounded brush stroke made with the Brush Tool set to black
Screen Shot 2018-07-19 at 8.34.10 PM.png

Here is the result
The black on the layer mask revealed the red layer below it.
Screen Shot 2018-07-19 at 8.34.19 PM.png

This is exactly how you reveal the bottom layer using the Brush Tool. Anywhere you paint in black, the bottom layer will show through.

Gerardo

It worked! Thanks guys. The second layer was indeed like the first one, but I reduced the lighting. Then I used the mask and the brush to slightly highlight some of the shadows. My mistake was that I didn't have the mask selected when I used the brush. That was why it painted black instead of revealing the second layer :silly:.

Mogsy

It worked! Thanks guys. The second layer was indeed like the first one, but I reduced the lighting. Then I used the mask and the brush to slightly highlight some of the shadows. My mistake was that I didn't have the mask selected when I used the brush. That was why it painted black instead of revealing the second layer :silly:.

Thought it might be that, common mistake :giggle::thumbsup:

No problem at all, glad its sorted.

Cheers