What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3D C4D or Rhino?

P

(PSD) Sergiy

Hello friends,
Rigth now i am using Cinema4D. I pretty enjoy this programm, very easy to use, a bunch of Features, exporting, rendering etc...
But i would like to ask you:
"Is Rhinoceros better than Cinema4D? Does it make a better effects? Or they both are same programms, that making same quality of Image?

Thanks you guys 8))

I've used both and now I only use Cinema 4D.
Personally I think Rhino 3D is the better modeler and more suited for drafting, engineering, analysis, and manufacturing purposes.

C4D beats Rhino 3D when it comes to:
  • render quality
  • speed of interface and render
  • interface (fully customizable)
  • new features
  • lighting
  • stability
  • free version available, at least was available (6)
  • animation, Rhino 3D hasn't any (that I know of)
  • price; Rhino and Flamengo as one package is more expensive. Of course you pay a lot more for the C4D studio version, but for most people the standard version will do just fine
  • a company behind it that really listens to their customers
  • support[/list:u]This is just my view on things and excuse me if I'm wrong. :\
    I've tried everything from Maya, Lightwave, Carrara, XSI, 3DS Max, etc, but I just felt comfortable with the program from the moment I used it and that was for me the only thing that counted.
    I'm also not fond of nurbs modeling, but that's just personal.
    Nice plus; I'm able to use the incredible bodypaint that even allows me to use my favorite Photoshop tools.
    I can also use the meshtools and xfrog plugins, another two excellent products. C4D can also render Vue scenery, another plus for this Vue user.

I would like to hear what Rhino users have to say about their software and I'm pretty sure that they have something good to say about Rhino that I forgot to mention. :)

Serge

Thanks John for a quick response.

I have seen very atractive Gallery at rhinos web page. Very High Quality of image, i thought. But it happens, that it is only a secret in light rendering and plus added reflection to it. But overall, looks interesting. By the way, i have notice that Cinema`s users doesn`t use Reflection to often. But i think it is one of the most important factors that helps create Realistik scene.

Thanks John for figuring that thing out 8))

Re: Serge

(PSD) Sergiy said:
By the way, i have notice that Cinema`s users doesn`t use Reflection to often.
Sergiy, that has to do with the fact that Rhino 3D users use the program a lot for drafting, engineering, analysis, and manufacturing purposes and that's why you see more man made objects in Rhino 3D galleries that have these typical reflections. Nurbs in Rhino 3D are spline based and more suited to create these kind of objects. The same results can be achieved in Cinema 4D, just with a different approach.

Sergiy

Nurbs in Rhino 3D are spline based and more suited to create these kind of objects. The same results can be achieved in Cinema 4D, just with a different approach.

It is exactly what i was reffering to in my last Reply.

Thanks 8))

have seen very atractive Gallery at rhinos web page. Very High Quality of image, i thought.
Yes but if you take note of the small print below each image, you'll see that 95% of those images were "modelled" in Rhino, but "rendered" in 3DMax. That's why they have such good quality.

Rhino is lacking any kind of serious rendering engine. It relies on 3rd party companies for that.

I agree with John in that Rhino is a suppirior modeler, because it's GUI and functions are better organized. But C4D is way ahead in all other aspects. And in fact... once you're quite familiar with C4D's way of doing things, modelling in it isn't really all that much more time consuming.

Well, I don't know which version of Cinema you are talking about, but if you have 6 now and you want to spend money, then I'd certainly go for 8.5.
Instead, or: before, diving into other modules, except perhaps for Advanced Renderer if you want/need caustics etc, I'd go for a few plugins. The most important one is MeshSurgery, a series of modeller plugins that are really unbelievable. Next comes a free one called Easyclone. At the third place (my personal list this is, I'd never try to impose my view!!!) you have XFrog4.1. It also adds a lot of functionality to modelling, and not only for modelling plants. Then comes a bunch of plugins, mostly free: Make Thicker, some spline plugins etc etc.

What's more: many people add the free Wings3D to their arsenal of tools as it is really quick for god modeling. Or the very cheap Silo (see threads. Gidgit is the one who knows most about this). Silo can work with n-gons (polygons with more than four cornerpoints/vertices) which is good in itself, but when importing into Cinema, these are reduced to trigons and quads, which results in a ugly mesh.

One still weak point of Cinema is its Boolean functions. Even with BetterBoole, now included in 8.5, it gives a messhy mesh.

If I could afford it, I might be tempted by Rhino. But as I don't have much time, I consider Cinema itself as more than sufficiently complicated to get accustomed to.
3D does ask for another way of thinking, which is why it is so fascinating.

Serge

Thanks for Replying,
From all that stuff you have explained me, i decided not to spend money on that programm. Looks very good, but i will better go with Cinema.

Thanks and Good Luck 8))

They are all good at certain tasks, and all need inovation for other tasks.... hehe :D

I think it is truly up to the end user for just which app works best for them... unless of course said end user is about to land a job with some company which utilizes specific solutions... in which case...

a) if you are good enough to land a job doing 3D then you probably don't need further advice on most any set of tools currently out there...

b) you probably are satisfied with the toolset which afforded you the opputunity to land such job ;) :D

Other wise, just try them all out before making any purchase decisions... I know of many C4D, Maya, XSI, LW user's who rely on Wings3D, Clay, and/or Silo for thier quick concept modeling, especially for organics, and then take things into ZBrush, Body Paint, and/or Deep Paint for texturing, and then further into thier big app for other tasks.... I think it's rare these days that a pipeline is limited to one solution... rather you will find that many companies who are into high end 3D are using upwards to a whole handful of available solutions :) Even companies such as Weta, who are highly reliant on apps such as Mirai, look to other apps to include into the ol pipeline for many tasks ;)

and let's not forget 2d apps such as Photoshop, Painter etc...

The moral of this story is.... perhaps no one solution exists in the wonderful world of 3D... and no matter which app you choose to get, there will still be something you will soon find needing inorder to realize your ultimate 3d fantasies :D

PS... if I was personaly going to get an app which supported Nurbs, I would also want said app to have polyspline, polyline, and subd tools as well :)

Happy Exploring :)

Serge

Thanks for replying Gidge,
I think when i will have some unusable money, i will defintely give it a try ;)

some unusable money - are there any, ever like that \:] ................. [confused]

Back