What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Camera Raw Upright Adjustments

knowoneuno

I have used the camera raw "upright" adjustments for years, where you can change the vertical, the horizontal, rotation, scale, etc., and now sometimes when I am trying to straighten up a photo for an aircraft interior, the end results that come out, after I hit the "A" button, are very weird, compared to the past.

Anyone else running into this problem?

I can put a screen shot on the thread, if needed.

I know it doesn't work "perfectly" every time, but I get about a 90% success rate on it.

thebestcpu

Guru
Hi @knowoneuno
I suspect that is just a tough subject to get right. With a cigar shaped interior it is quite different without many good true vertical lines such as in architecture. You might have to stick with manual mode.
Also, not sure if you noticed or follow the recommended steps yet you are supposed to do lens correction before geometry corrections for best results. Though I am not sure that would make any difference.
Did aircraft interiors work in the past for you? If that is the case, we would need to examine what has changed from that point when they worked and now when they don't

Just some quick thoughts.
John Wheeler

thebestcpu

Guru
A question came up about using lens correction in Adobe ACR in the post above.
I believe this only applies in cases where you are bringing in a raw file into ACR.
Adobe changes the ACR interface quite often and I am using PS 2020 with ACR 13.1.0.658
If you bring in a raw file into ACR, in the Optics panel, there is an option to "Use Profile Corrections" based on the Camera and Lens metadata that comes with the raw file. My image below shows how that appears on my computer.
The Adobe recommendation is to use these corrections and embedded sliders in the Optics panel before going to the geometry panel.
Hope the clarification helps
John Wheeler

Screen Shot 2021-04-23 at 10.24.51 AM.png

knowoneuno

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, the files I am working on are TIFF files, so I don't think this would work.

thebestcpu

Guru
I understand @knowoneuno
Other manual options are the Optics Panel (e.g. distortion slider) in ACR and also back in photoshop, making the Layer(s) a Smart Object and using the Transform commands that are available especially Edit > Transform > Distort (totally different than the ACR distort.
Some combination is likely to work for you yet I set no automatic solution that will work for that situation.
Just my opinion of course
John Wheeler

JeffK

Guru
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, the files I am working on are TIFF files, so I don't think this would work.
Just as an aside, you can have PS open TIFF or JPG files automatically in camera raw by going to Edit - Preferences - Camera Raw, click on the file handling option, and change the TIFF handling to "Automatically open all supported TIFFs". Be forewarned this will only work on flat files, not files with layers.

1619208216314.png

You can do the same with JPEGs.

As far as the distortion that's being discussed, I happened to be playing with a panoramic issue yesterday that had a curved horizon distortion. The solution I found was to
use Filter - Adaptive Wide Angle with a bit of warp tool use.

Possibly you can post the image here, even as a JPG, so we can see what the distortion effects are. Then maybe we can offer some additional insight.

- Jeff