What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can anyone help in achieving this B&W effect?

Popa Duhu

Hey,

I came across a picture of actor Brendan Gleeson on IMDB.com and i've been trying to replicate the effect since, to no avail. If anyone could point me in the right direction, I would be gratefull. Thank you in advance and here is the picture:Brendan.JPG

black and white adjustment layer and tweak the colour sliders to your liking.

then maybe a levels adjustment layer to tweak it afterwards

It looks to me like a high pass filter has been used. You can usually tell by the halo effect around high contrasting edges (like the hair and the background in this case).

Duplicate the image, go to Filter - Other - High Pass. Adjust it to your liking and then set that top layer to overlay.

highpass.gif

The full-tilt version of this effect is called the "Dragan effect". Google it - there is a lot written about achieving this look.

As RTC pointed out, the highpass filter can be used to get part of the way there. If you want to stay within ACR (or LR), push the clarity slider substantially to the right, and then use the USM tool on it with a radius in the 5-15 pixel range, percentage low.

HTH,

Tom M

Don't forget -- it's not all done in PP. To be believable, you need to get the lighting right, as well.

T

PS - Since it became a seriously overused cliche a few years ago, some wags started calling it the "Old Greek Fisherman look". :)

Last edited:
Thank you kindly for your replies. You gave me a great starting point. I wish you all a great day.

Popa, if you have never used the high-pass filter and want to try it, you need to go to the edit menu once you have established your level of sharpening. You'll see "fade high pass" and you can set a blending mode, like soft light or overlay for example, then adjust the opacity if you want.

If you have a smart object, right click on the high pass filter and you'll see the same blending options.

Back