What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can anyone help with car effect?

Marschallm

So I'm trying g new things on Photoshop all the time, trying to learn. I love doing photo modification of my own photos as love photography.

I mostly enjoy my car stuff.

Anyway. Iv seen this image and I think it looks epic. Just want to know how to do it. Anyone got any ideas on how this was done? I believe it's a water colour effect, I have tried this and it didn't turn out as great.

Screenshot_20190511-125018.png

Hello and welcome to PSG.

This is a simple effect requiring two elements to have at hand before you start.
One is a photo/image of a car, and the other a photo/image of the watercolor background (on white) you would like to use.

Place the car image layer above the watercolor image layer.
Turn off the Watercolor background layer.
Screen Shot 2019-05-13 at 8.55.08 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-05-13 at 8.55.56 AM.png

Getting started select or highlight the Car layer.
Then you need to place a layer mask on the car image layer by hitting the "Add layer mask" icon located at the bottom of the layers panel.

Click on the layer mask to make sure it's bracketed, and then use the Brush Tool and a medium hardness brush, set to the color Black, to isolate the car from it's background.

Once your done......
Use Free Transform (Cmd + T) to rotate the image.
Screen Shot 2019-05-13 at 9.01.28 AM.png

At this point I would duplicate the car layer by hitting Cmd + J, then turn off the first one and move to bottom of layer stack. We can preserve this step just in case you need it later.

On the duplicated car layer.
Right click the layer mask and choose "apply layer mask".
Right click again on the body of the layer and choose "convert to smart object". We do this so we can edit the smart filter we are about to apply if needed.

Now go to FILTER > FILTER GALLERY > ARTISTIC > POSTER EDGES.......adjust to your liking.
Screen Shot 2019-05-13 at 9.09.44 AM.png

Now simply turn on the Watercolor background layer and adjust if desired.

Screen Shot 2019-05-13 at 9.17.22 AM.png

Layers panel.
Screen Shot 2019-05-13 at 9.18.00 AM.png

Back