What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can I make blending options always all show?

chick

When I use blending options on something, the next time I open blending options, I see only the options that I used the previous time. I'm getting real tired of constantly having to click FX and then Show All Effects.

Is there any way to set this so I always Show All Effects every time I open the box?

I use Photoshop CC 2018 on Win7

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hey!

Can you please post screenshots to show your problem?

chick

Sure, thought it would be self-explanatory since everyone must see the same thing, but here are a sequence of shots showing me adding a layer, putting some blending options on it, using a style, and again.

As you can see, each time I open Blending Options, it shows whatever options were used the previous time. I have to click on the FX and then Show All Effects every time and it's very annoying. It makes using Styles a nightmare for every time I don't use a Style.

I want ALL options to show ALL the time. Is there a way to do this?

I

Attachments

• 2018-04-23 22_38_20-Greenshot.png
    2018-04-23 22_38_20-Greenshot.png
    151.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 2018-04-23 22_38_25-Greenshot.png
    2018-04-23 22_38_25-Greenshot.png
    157.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 2018-04-23 22_39_46-Greenshot.png
    2018-04-23 22_39_46-Greenshot.png
    174.7 KB · Views: 6
  • 2018-04-23 22_40_11-Greenshot.png
    2018-04-23 22_40_11-Greenshot.png
    193.6 KB · Views: 6

thebestcpu

Guru
Hi Chick
I believe all you have to do is click the dropdown "fx" in the lower left corner of the Layer Style panel and select the last option names "Reset to Default List"
Give that a try and hope that solves the problem for you

John Wheeler

Screen Shot 2018-04-23 at 11.27.15 PM.png

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sure, thought it would be self-explanatory since everyone must see the same thing,
No...........this is not normal. I think Johns suggestion should work.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
John you beat me to the punch, I was in the process of trying to re-create the issue. The only way I could reproduce the...........abnormal situation........was to trash all of the blending options, which most of us don't do. In my test, I reset the default list and cured the problem.

chick

I know about clicking the FX. I just don't want to have to do it EVERY time I use the Blending Options. If I do the Reset to Default List, it's the same. Try this:

1. Make a white layer
2. Make another layer and scribble something on it in a color.
3. Go to blending options on the top layer and select any Style from the Styles list and apply it.
4. Close blending options.
5. Make a third layer and scribble something on it.
6. Go to blending options on the third layer.

You will see only the options that were in the Style you used for the second layer. You have to click FX and Show All Effects to get the rest of them back. (Or at least I do)

I want ALL the options to ALWAYS show (like they do after I click Show All Effects).

Is that possible?

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
1. Make a white layer
2. Make another layer and scribble something on it in a color.
3. Go to blending options on the top layer and select any Style from the Styles list and apply it.
Screen Shot 2018-04-24 at 9.43.54 AM.png

4. Close blending options.
5. Make a third layer and scribble something on it.
6. Go to blending options on the third layer.
Screen Shot 2018-04-24 at 9.47.47 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-04-24 at 9.47.54 AM.png

You will see only the options that were in the Style you used for the second layer. You have to click FX and Show All Effects to get the rest of them back. (Or at least I do)
NO.............I see all the options which is as it should be.

Have you tried resetting Ps preferences?

This is how to reset your preferences in Photoshop: Press-and-hold Command-Option-Shift on a Mac or Ctrl-Alt-Shift on a PC, while you start Photoshop. As you start the program you will get a pop-up dialog asking you if you would like to delete the settings file. Deleting the file will create a new set of preferences from scratch.

polarwoc

Guru
I followed exactly the same steps as you mentioned, but I see all options under layer styles all the time. Sometimes, I use some options more than once, like you see "Stroke" twice on my screenshot - I just have to "reset to default" and everything reverts to normal, one occurance of each style.

Not sure why you are only able to see only a few blending options on your screenshots. Watching this resource I want you to check if your transparency is locked or layer styles are rasterised? Other than that, I want to ask if your install has been clean or have you tried to change any settings or reset preferences file, etc?

Attachments

• a.png
    a.png
    102.5 KB · Views: 1

polarwoc

Guru
Open your windows explorer (assuming you are on Windows), navigate to this folder as indicated
a.jpg
and check if it shows similar files and if their file sizes are similar to rule out file corruption or deletion? I use the following version of PS: Adobe Photoshop Version: 19.0 20170929.r.165 2017/09/29: 1138933 x64

chick

@IamSam: It appears to me that you only set some options, not a Style.

@polarwoc: My preset styles look exactly like those, with the additions of my own styles I've added normally through PS. My install is clean and I have changed a lot of settings and preferences but only through the normal PS methods. I have not rasterized any of these layers, nor have I done anything with changing transparency.

I would seriously hate to do a full reset of settings or preferences, because I have created a lot that I use frequently and would have to recreate.

This problem happens exactly the same whether I use an original PS style or one of my own.

From what you all are saying (yours doesn't do the same thing), I'm guessing there is a setting or option that controls this, but so far I haven't been able to spot it.

Screenshots show all the Blending Options settings and the Styles settings that I can find.

Attachments

• 2018-04-25 10_33_02-Greenshot.png
    2018-04-25 10_33_02-Greenshot.png
    287.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 2018-04-25 10_34_21-Greenshot.png
    2018-04-25 10_34_21-Greenshot.png
    288.5 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

polarwoc

Guru
I have deleted all my listed styles in the Layer Style Window by clicking on each and clicking the Bin icon at the bottom. So, I do not have any styles being displayed right now. I click Ok. Then I open the Layer Styles window to see no styles listed, just like your screenshot.
Now, I apply a couple of styles, click Ok. When I click Fx icon, before I click on Blending Options I see the last two used layer styles ticked. In the resulting Layer Styles window, I only see the last two that I used.

From my understanding, this is your problem situation.

At this stage, I open Layer Style Window, click on the bottom Fx button and select "Show all effects" and it shows all effects - like it does to you.

Now, when I close this window and open it again, I see all layer styles, unlike what is happening on your system.

Again, I delete all styles, close PS, assuming those preferences are saved. Right now, my PS is taking time to open. Will update if I survive.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
@IamSam: It appears to me that you only set some options, not a Style.
I stand corrected. I was misunderstanding the problem based on your first 2 image examples in your first post. Even though I read your instructions in post #8, I mistakenly felt like you had just misworded step #3 because you instruct to close "blending options" in step #4. This was my mistake based on the Ps procedure that when you call for blending options, it opens a "Layer Style" widow. I apologize for this.

It would seem that you are correct in your assessment and my Ps does the exact same thing...........so you are not alone.
Screen Shot 2018-04-25 at 10.13.54 AM.png

I don't have an explanation as to why Ps does this, but I will find out!

However, it would seem that hitting "Reset to default list" works until you apply another layer style. Very odd.

polarwoc

Guru
Have you also checked the Presets>Styles folder to see if the files are all there and sizes are similar? Obviously, if you have added new ones/deleted some your file sizes may differ.

Okay, my PS opened. I got into Layer Styles and see it is empty. Selected "Show all effects" and Ok.

Again, I go into Layer Styles Window - I find all styles there as they should.

So, it is strange that this is happening on your system. If I come across a solution, I will get back. If you find a solution, please update here as well so we all learn.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Have you also checked the Presets>Styles folder to see if the files are all there and sizes are similar? Obviously, if you have added new ones/deleted some your file sizes may differ.
The styles aren't disappearing, it's the options when a style has been applied.

polarwoc

Guru
How about opening your Layer Styles window, go into Styles - yes, Styles, not Blending Options - then manually select "Default Style (None)" option, then select Ok.

I guess when you select a style, the only blending options that are displayed are the ones used in the last style preset.

polarwoc

Guru
On second fifth thoughts, it appears either it is a fault in design or it has been designed that way.

I now have 5 layers, some of them have different Blending options and some of them have styles.

When I select a layer that has only blending options on it and open Layer Styles window, I see all Blending Options in the list.

However, if I select a layer that had a Style applied on it and open Layer Styles window, I only see those Blending Options that have been employed by that style.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
it appears either it is a fault in design or it has been designed that way.
Yes, I arrived at the same conclusion but I'm not sure why Adobe has done this. We need to do some searching now that we understand the matter.

chick

Thank you all for helping with this! At least it helps to know that it's not my system.

What I would like is to have an option setting of some sort to say "Always Show ALL Effects"

Those of you who have input to Adobe, thanks for whatever you can do.

Regards to everyone who looked at this for me :)