What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can someone help me with this?

rob129

How do I get rid of the white border in this picture of my wife on my home page? I can't figure out how to soften the edges using PS 6.0
I used Microsoft PhotoDraw and used the Effects>Transparency to soften the edges. Now I can't get rid of the white border. I have other pictures I would like to soften the edges and would like use PS.

http://www.robertandterri.com/index.htm

Thanks,
Robert

Lompoc42

Hi Robert! Welcome to the forum! :perfect: as for your graphic question: So, I'm ass|u|ming :D that you're trying to make the white border another color? Are you trying to make it blend in with the web page? In order to help you better, we need to know exactly what you're trying to acheive. If you're simply trying to soften the edges of the circle do the following:

*First: go to WINDOW>LAYERS to bring up your layers palette. Now right click on the layer called "background" and select "layer properties". Rename it something you'll remember. Ok.

*2ND: Select your marquee tool (hit M on the keyboard) and make sure you have the circular tool selected. Now, holding down the shift key to ensure a perfect circle, make a selection over the picture. Now if you go to SELECT>INVERSE (or shft+ctrl+I) it will reverse your selection. If you were to hit delete now without having renamed the background layer it would fill the deleted area with the background color. You don't want that! :D :rofl: Anyway, so now hit delete and you will notice just your picture with a checkered background (this means it's transparent). Hopefully your selection is still active. If it isn't take your magic wand tool and select the checkered background or hit control Z to undo. This will bring your selection back up if you turned it off. Ok.. Almost done. Now, with your selection active, go to SELECT>FEATHER enter a value of 5 to 10. Now hit delete a few times and it will give you the nice soft edges. You can now make another layer to put below the picture and fill it with whatever color you want. I filled it with black and came up with this. Hope this helps at all. Again I'm not entirely sure what you're going for. Keep on the path. :D :D :rofl: B7
Lompoc42

rob129

Thanks for the help Lompoc42.

The look that I'm trying to get is for the backround to blend in with the webpage. If you take a look at this page you will see how I did the car, airplane, boat and house. I want to do something like this, I want to have a picture of my wife, my dog adn myself. I want that soft edge look and to have teh backround blend in. I did this in PhotoDraw by accident, it was an OOOPS that I like so I kept it. I would like to get that look with PS.

http://www.alljerseycleansafe.com/Carpet Cleaning.htm

http://www.robertandterri.com/

Thanks again for all you help!
:D

lindaw

Power User
If you want the blend to be like the car, etc. then you have to change the bground color of the frame around the pic so it will match the bground of the page. :perfect:

rob129

Ok I give up! I've tried to figure it out on my own. How do I get the backround color to match the color of my webpage?

Thanks again!

Chillin

Its very easy...thats where the eye dropper tool comes into play.....all you need to do is select the eye dropper tool..click on the background to select its color code...and there you have it.

Lompoc42

I don't think you can use a dropper tool on the webpage :) But here's how you can do it robert. If you right click on your webpage and click "view source" it will show you all the coding for the page. You may know nothing about coding but you're only looking for a 5 character code beginning with a #. It will look something like this <body bgcolor="code will be here">. On your webpage Robert it looks like this

<body bgcolor="#CCFFFF">

That code, CCFFF, is a color code and is universal in the world of non-pigmented color pallettes so it will work in any program as long as it's in color. All you have to do is copy that color code and then put it into the dialogue color box (which can be brought up by double clicking your foreground color). There will be a little box at the bottom that has the familiar # to left of it and will contain the 5 character code. Enter in your color code there and it will give you the exact color of your webpage. :perfect: :perfect: Now combine this with the previous post and you should get this. Have a good one, hope all works out. :rofl: :rofl: B7
Keep on the path,
Lompoc42

Chillin

Well you can, if you open it PS... [stuned]
But yeah I forgot about the color codes..... ;\

rob129

I must be a real dumb A--! I can't get the backround to change to that color. I'm doing what you say but it stays white. After I set the color next to the # and click OK it stays white, what else do I need to do? What should be in my layers? This is what I have: the picture of my wife with the white backround, off to the right it says backround. Thats the only layer that I have, is that ok? I think I need to learn a little more about layers!

Once you have the layers, how do you get them to come together for the final look?

As always thanks!

Lompoc42

Layers can be a little tricky Robert, especially when you're not experienced with photoshop. Once you learn how to use them however, you'll never understand how you got along without them. Layers are one of photoshops most powerful tools. Ok so now to answer your question.

Your picture of your wife with the white background needs to be on a layer other than background. To change this all you need to do is rename the layer. Right click on the layer and select "layer properties" and rename the layer "Picture" or something. This will enable you to to seperate the white from your picture and leave the surrounding areas transparent. Try rereading my first post. Before all that however, you should read all of the begginer articles in this forum and visit Mark's begginers section
http://photoshopgurus.info/beginner.shtml
Keep on the path. :rofl: :rofl: B7