What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Specific Can you please fix the wonky wall?

jessie_m

I am a photoshop novice and still learning! I have accidentally altered the wall (right hand side). Is someone able to fix this without changing much else? I can’t correct it to save my life!

0D14BDDC-685B-490A-B3A2-30BDD225B1D0.jpeg

Rich54

Guru
I am a photoshop novice and still learning!

In your Photoshop file, did you create a new layer to do your edits while preserving the original photo as the bottom layer? If yes, you can most likely fix your problem with a layer mask. Given that you are a novice, I'm not sure if you know about layer masks. If you did not create a new layer for your edits, then do you still have the original, unedited photo somewhere else that you could attach here?

Rich

jessie_m

In your Photoshop file, did you create a new layer to do your edits while preserving the original photo as the bottom layer? If yes, you can most likely fix your problem with a layer mask. Given that you are a novice, I'm not sure if you know about layer masks. If you did not create a new layer for your edits, then do you still have the original, unedited photo somewhere else that you could attach here?

Rich
I didn’t save the original and didn’t create layers. I just used (are you ready...haha) the warp tool. My jacket is really oversized and is quite boxy so I’d attempted to make my shoulder look a bit more normal. I’m work it’s from home now due to COVID so no excuse to not improve!

JeffK

Guru
Hiya::
I'm mostly self-taught and at times picked up a workshop or two on Meetup or at the local college. Also went to a few meetings of camera clubs locally when they had a speaker covering Photoshop. This forum here is a great learning area and most will answer your questions about process. The General Photoshop Board is a great place for that.

Having read the above, here is the first and most important rule I learned - never ever ever work on your original layer. Always open your image and duplicate the layer. That first layer is your base layer and is not to be touched so you can always go back to it if need be. Always work on the layers above.

From what you described, and as you found out, the first move would be to put the figure on a separate layer from the background. So if you were using any type of warping method on the figure, the background wouldn't be affected. That's especially important when working with a complex background.

Thinking about it, and what you were trying to do, it sounds like you could have used the liquify tool. This is to be used in a subtle way since the distortions can become obvious.

Check both Aaron Nace @ PJLearn and Unmesh Dinda @ PIXImperfect on YouTube. Just pop "liquify in Photoshop" in the search bod and they'll turn up. Here are two to get you started:

Liquify Tools Tips & Tricks

The Amazing Poser of Liquify

If those don't work for you, just check other tutorials - especially the above instructors. Lynda.con has some great courses - there's a paywall but you might be able to get free access via your local library.

Best way to learn is exactly what you did. Find an edit you want to make and get into it. Use the tutorials to guide you along and ask questions. There are no mistakes or fails - there is only learning.

Best of success with this - Photoshop is an incredibly powerful tool and highly addicting. :cheesygrin:

- Jeff