What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cannot Print a Digital Image to Fill an 8x10 Size

PDL

How do I adjust my printing so I fill an 10x8 sheet of inkjet paper? Whenever I print it does not fit the media. Always white/blank areas above/below the image. Aspect ratio must have something to do with it but what? I use a Pentax K-70 (not a full frame). I check "Scale to Fit Media", select 8x10 size for paper. I would like the image to fit 8x10 size or even 8.5x11. Thanks in advance for any advice that will help out. See screenshot of example.

jenny lake5561-bw test2.jpg

Screenshot 2024-01-09 at 22.52.41.png

Your Pentax is 3:2 ratio ... the 10" x 8" is 5:4 ratio.

I would create a 10" x 8" in photoshop and place the image.
You will have to expand it a little to fill the 10" x 8", losing part of image on sides.

I'd then print to 8.5 x 11 paper and trim to 10" x 8" ... or create a 12" x 8" for your cameras ratio.

Below shows my original 24 megapixel placed on 10" x 8"

RatioCompare.jpg

Last edited:
Hi @PDL
Another approach is instead of trimming to an 8x10 aspect ratio (and losing part of the image), if you have a more recent version of PS, you can use Edit> Regenerative Fill to fill the white space around the image. Here are the steps I took:

- Using the Crop tool set to 10x8 aspect ratio I expanded the canvas to fit the left and right edges and then position the existing image vertically as the inial attempt to fill the white space. Note that you could position the image up or down to wherever you think will create the 10x8 image you want.

Screenshot 2024-01-10 at 9.28.33 PM.jpg

The next step I select the outside what canvas area and expand the selection to overlap into the image about 20 pixels or so:

Screenshot 2024-01-10 at 9.31.58 PM.jpg

Then apply Edit > Generative Fill. It will give you three results from which to choose. Note I did not type in any instructions into the Regenerative Fill dialog box. Here is the result that was achieved:

Screenshot 2024-01-10 at 9.33.06 PM.jpg

Just another approach to consider.
John Wheeler

Back