What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can't locate blending modes

Artsy

I've not used Blending Modes for quite a few years now and after not finding them conveniently located at the top of the PS window I look up their location. It says they are in the layers dropdown opposite 'normal'. I don't see the word normal. They used to be right at the top under window or something like that. I never had to look for them. Does anyone know how to get the dropdown for the various modes?

These are the instructions I found for PSCC 2020. Layers.png

"To use a Layer Blending mode, you need to have a document with at least two layers present. At the top of the Layers palette, you'll see an option that says Normal. Click the drop-down menu to see all the available modes. Select one of the modes to see the result in your document window." Thank you.

I have a 12-year-old version of Photoshop (CS5), but I think this much has not changed. The layer blend modes are part of your layers panel. Blend modes do not work on the bottom Background layer, so you need to have at least one other layer.

In this first attachment, I have Layer 1 active. At the top of the layer panel, where the red arrow is pointing, it defaults to a blend mode of Normal.

1595817186053.png

If you click on the drop-down arrow next to the word Normal, you'll see the available choices of all the other blend modes.

1595817308196.png

You only need one layer.

The layer blending modes are located in the layers panel here:
Screen Shot 2020-07-26 at 9.35.24 PM copy.png
Screen Shot 2020-07-26 at 9.35.32 PM.png

@IamSam,
We both posted at the same time. As I say above, I have CS5, which is quite old by now. In your layers panel that you attached, right above the Blend Modes, it shows the word Kind and has a magnifying glass icon and a drop-down arrow. What does Kind mean and what else is available in the drop-downs for that?

Thanks
Rich

What does Kind mean and what else is available in the drop-downs for that?
It's a layers panel filter. Under "Kind" you can filter layers by pixel layers, adjustment layers, type/text layers, shape layers, smart objects, and a toggle to turn the filter layers on/off.

You can also filter by the following dropdown choices. Each having selections.
Screen Shot 2020-07-26 at 9.50.10 PM.png

Like under "effect", you can filter by any of the layer style effects.
Screen Shot 2020-07-26 at 9.53.17 PM.png

Thank you, your directions are wonderful, but I don't see what you are seeing. The word 'normal' does not appear anywhere. Have paths and channels closed but layers is always open. Thanks. Gotta feed the birds... be right back.

image_layers.png

You are using the layers option in menu bar. You need to open the layers panel.

Go to WINDOW > LAYERS

Ok, I found it. There have been a lot of changes through the years and as mentioned I have not used blend modes for a few years. But, thanks to all the great assistance I FOUND THE DARN THING.

Thank you very much.
Bonnie

Back