What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can't open some file extensions

Bubble

Power User
Recently i started getting this message when I try to open .psd, .ai and numerous other files. I have checked my import-export options and file formats in my plug ins folder but nothing seems to be missing. I can't figure out why this is happening. What i am having to do lately, is open them in image ready, then jump to ps. I know I end up being able to access these files - but I would like to avoid the middle man.

Does anyone know why this is happening [confused]

Never seen that specific problem before Bubble.
But it certainly sounds like somethings corrupted.

Have you tried a reInstall yet?
Or deleting your prefs file? (although i can't see that fixing this problem)

Sorry, I can't help you here. If I were you , I would try a new install. And don't forget the preferences file as this is not kept in the PS folder!

It is clearly something internal on the level where PS reads and interprets/translates the various file types.

Therefore: complete uninstall, and reinstall.

(save your actions, gradients etc in a separate folder before deleting!)

Thanks guys, but unfortunately, after having tried all this, and re-installed numerous times in as many ways as i can think, i still have this problem and its driving me nuts. Can't understand why IR likes them but not PS. Maybe i should shake someone at Adobe and see what they think.

An aside - I was also having the problem of PS closing recently when I was searching for the file i wanted to open, but it has stopped doing that.

Thanks again guys... :perfect:

Whew...
Two options:

1/ It has something to do with Photoshop. This means that the problem resides in what is still lft in some folder PS installed somewhere, or in your registry. Can't you set back to a copy of the registry that was still ok? Did you install something, have a virus attack,...notice anything unusual like another prog. having taken the default opening options from PS?

2/ It has something to do with your OS. In that case, it may also be the registry. Which means trouble.
If you use XP, you can easily go back to a previous state (reference point), but the other Windows need diifferent cleansing...

Erik - I still canna figure it out!! I am running windows 2000 at work, and have uninstalled and reinstalled so many times, i even put all my file associations to ps in case (you never know, always hoping the simple things will work), but still nothing. The annoying thing is, I used to be able to open all these files, but I can't remember if that was before i upgraded to ps7 or whether it started sometime after!!! Should pay more attention... And it confuses me why ir can open them, they both install at the same time, so if it works for one... well, like i said, a mystery.

The issue with it closing when i tried to search for pics - this occured whenever i was searching the network at work, all the network drives would have a little cross on them, like i couldn't access them, yet i could, however it would crash ps. Now, just to be safe, i use explorer to locate the file and drag it into ps. Seems to avoid this issue.

Tearing my hair out!!!

Bubble, you say upgraded to PS 7, there is a PS 7.0.1 updater on the Adobe site. Have you installed it?
It's under support/ downloads.

You could also check the 'preferred application' settings for 'open with' file type PSD/ TIF/ etc is set to Photoshop.

Al.

Edit: Just noticed that the alert shows a PDF file. Could that be the problem?
Sometimes 'Non Distilled' PDFs cause problems when trying to open in applications other than Acrobat.

Al, its not only pdf, but even ai files, which is very bizarre. I also can't open CAD drawings like i used to, actually, basically anything that isn't jpeg or psd. I have changed all my associations to ps, which didn't work either.

I don't normally bother with the updates, but i will try and see if that works - although, no-one else seems to have this problem, so i don't know if the update will contain a fix for this. Worth a try though, right :perfect:

Thanks guys, incredibly frustrating as it is, there must be some major clash going on somewhere. Computers ::insert shrugging emoticon here::

Bubble, Check out the plug-ins folder for the folders marked File Formats & EPS / PDF.

Make sure that the EPS Parser / PDF Parser / PDF Image Import are all installed, plus any other file formats that you cannot access.

I think you may have omitted these format plug-ins during your re-installation or perhaps moved them into a disabled folder.

Al.

No, al that was one of the first things i checked, which is what confused me cause they are all there!! A colleague at work thought, hmm... lets just copy my plug-ins, presets, required and samples folder over yours... but this resulted in having to completely reinstall ps as i got an error message whenever i tried to open ps - something about missing personal information. I didn't think anything of import was kept in those folders, so that also confused me no end... And yet, my copy at home works like a charm, real frustrating...

Back