What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can't Save a Photoshop file as Jpeg

MikeC

I have been saving jpegs from Photoshop files for years and suddenly I am not able to. I read that the file may be too big so I made a smaller file and still it doesn't save. It saves with a psd extension and that file won't load. The choices are there and I am doing the same steps I always have but it saves with extension psd. Could it be that I just updated my Mac to macOS Catalina?

thebestcpu

Guru
Hi MikeC
I have not heard about a problem in Catalina yet I have not upgraded yet.
PS has a number of ways of saving files and you did not mention which one you use, no steps, and no pictures so quite difficult to narrow down and troubleshoot your problem.

If you have selected JPEG as the format for Save, Save As, Export, Export for Web etc, and you still show a different extension at the end other than .jpg, just overwrite the extension with .jpg and I bet you are good to go.

I know of only one way where the wrong extension is used (there might be more of course) and that is when I am going to save the file in a ceratin format based on the drop down, yet I click on a file name that exists already to fill in the filename with what I want. Unfortunately, it also populates with the extension of the file you clicked on which may not be the correct extension.

Since you did not share your exact steps, I gave you a generic solution which I hope works for you.

Let us know if that works or if you continue to have issues.
John Wheeler

MikeC

It worked adding the extension jpg. I save normally. File>Save As> change the format to JPEG then>Save. The program asks me if I want to overwrite. But it shouldn't because it's a JPEG and not a psd file. So I made a separate folder for JPEGS only. I saved it the jpegs folder and it has the extension psd. I changed the extension from psd to jpg and it was fine. I did a get info on it and it sees it as a jpg. But still not sure why I need to change the extension. As I said this started when I upgraded my Mac to Catalina a few days ago.

MikeC

Yes have updated. That answers the question. So it's a bug and will get worked out with future updates. Strange bug!
Thank you sir.